MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

your experience with the ventilator

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board your experience with the ventilator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brenda P

My dad had to be intubated yesterday because he was going into respiratory arrest. His AML is pretty bad: 50% blasts in the blood at a count of 37,000 or so. He needs 100% oxygen–maximum ventilation support.

He held on until my brother got here and we all had a nice afternoon together. Then he kicked us out and 30 minutes later I got the call. I got to see him and tell him he’d be ok and kiss him before they tubed him.

Two questions: when do you decide to pull the plug and let him go? I know dad doesn’t want to live if he is hooked up to a machine and not conscious. And I don’t want him to wake up and realize where he is and be afraid. But it’s so sad!

Also, for anyone who’s been on a ventilator, did you dream? Did you hear?

Thank you, this is a wonderful forum.

patti

Brenda,

I think that question really needs to be answered by your dad. If you know he doesn’t want to live hooked up to anything then the best thing you can do is ask them to remove the ventilator and let nature take its course. They can provide as much pain relief as he needs to keep him comfortable. I can’t answer your other questions about a ventilator.

I’m sorry you’re going through this right now. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be.

Take care.

patti

riley

I’m sorry your father, you and your family are going through this. It’s so hard.

My father was on a ventilator twice during the course of his illness. He had MDS (not yet AML) and had sepsis both times. Each time, he was on the ventilator for a week, and he started at 100% oxygen both times.

The first time, the doctors told us they thought they could get him off the vent fairly quickly. The second time, they told us his odds of making it were 50/50. He made quick progress each day, so within a few days we were fairly sure he was going to be ok.

My father remembered hearing my mother’s and my voice, but he didn’t remember anything we had said to him. He did have very good dreams. In fact, he either dreamed of (or saw) angels both times. His dreams were very comforting to him — he definitely wanted to see those angels again.

My father wasn’t scared when they decreased his sedation and he woke up. He thought he’d just been sleeping. He couldn’t believe a whole week had gone by and so many people had come to see him and he didn’t recall any of it. It seemed like not being able to account for that time was the most upsetting thing to him.

I hope your father’s condition improves. I’ll keep all of you in my prayers.

Nicole

Brenda P

Dad passed away when we took him off the vent today. It was a good decision, the only one we could make, even though it was hard for us. He seemed to be sleeping (ok, snoring a bit–) but I know he was ready.

patti

Brenda,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to say good-bye. I am glad you know in your heart it was the right thing to do. That is one of things that makes these difficult decisions more bearable. If that’s even possible. Doing the right thing is not always the easy thing. May your memories comfort you over the weeks and months to come.

God bless,

patti

eve

brenda

thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult time

eve

shirlsgirl

Dear Brenda,

I’m so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family…

Jody

Ensnee

Brenda, I’m so very sorry you’ve lost your dad. Sending many prayers and hugs to you and your family…

Esme

riley

Brenda,

I’m very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Nicole

Jim

Brenda,
    I’m sorry for your loss but you did the right thing. I hope my family will do the same for me when my time comes.
    JW

gemloyear

Brenda, My sincere sympathy for the loss of your father. May you find peace and comfort at this difficult time.my prayers are with you and your family.
    Ellie

JAGGYONE

Brenda,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family during this difficult time.
    Stay strong and try to find solace in knowing that your Dad isn’t suffering any more. He will live on in your heart forever and be with you always.

Judy

CarolineG

Brenda,

I am sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
    Caroline

Brenda P

Thank you all. We’re requesting donations to this foundation in lieu of flowers. Everyone has been so helpful, and we need to find more options to treat this horrible disease.

SandyB

My family’s prayers are with you and your family. Know that your dad is feeling much better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert