MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS RAEB-2

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS RAEB-2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Auntie Social
    Participant

Hi, I have MDS RAEB-2. I was diagnosed in May 2015 with a blast count in my bone marrow of 11. After a round of Dacogen, it had gone up to 13. While waiting to start a second round of Dacogen, the blast count in my bone marrow went up to 19. So, instead of treating me with more Dacogen, they used a high dose AML induction regimen. I had 5 days of Ara-C and Fludarabine in combination, starting Friday August 14th. They wanted to use Ara-C and daunorubicin but couldn’t because of worry about my heart which has developed a severe arrhythmia.

I am now in the NADIR phase of recovery from the chemo and I have severe neutropenia. My oncologist is a firm believer that I am safer at home with these counts, unless I get an infection. So I have in home nursing care twice a day to draw blood each morning and give me all the medications I need. The only reason I have to go to the hospital is if I get an infection, my heart goes haywire or for red and platelet transfusions. So far I am infection free, thankfully.

I am also down to 20% kidney function. At 15%, I will start dialysis. They can’t say if the kidney damage will be permanent or not, so it may be temporarily dialysis and it may be for life.

I find it a daily struggle to keep going, as it seems that I take one step forward and then 2 steps back. I still have side effects from chemo and am unable to eat much (I’ve lost 26 lbs since May). And I have a lot of bone pain from the disease, but have had to be pulled off morphine due to the kidneys. The only safe choice for the kidneys is fentanyl which is stronger than morphine and I refuse to take it, so I’ve reduced back to tramadol which doesn’t really do the trick.

There is talk of a SCT in my future, but for now, am just waiting to see how effective the chemo was on the MDS.

William Doherty
    Participant

where are you located?

you need to go to a cancer clinic that specializes in MDS.

I was diagnosed with MDS RAEB-2 in May and my oncologist sent me to Moffitt in Tampa

my blood counts (wbc, rbc, hemoglobin, platelets) were awful

I have been receiving Vidaza and my numbers are slowly improving

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert