MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Peripheral smear blasts?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Peripheral smear blasts?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anne Ellis
    Participant

Hi my name is Anne, I am new here. My twin sister recently had a cbc that ended up with a peripheral smear that indicated “Abnormal result..less than 5 promylocytes, metamyelocytes and myelocytes” . Upon investigation, we have found that these are “blasts” immature cells and should not be in circulating blood outside marrow and show up in smear unless there is a serious condition causing marrow to release immature cells. The dr who orderd the test blew it off. Her spleen is also mildly enlarged, and has been suffering from left flank pain which she thought was a kidney infection which she has chronically. She also has an enlarged lymph node in her armpit, which has been evaluated by ultrasound, and found not suspicous, but indeed enlarged.Just wondering if there is someone here with knowledge of these sorts of tests who can give any advise as to whether or not this should be further investigated. I told her I think she needs a bone marrow biopsy and she is very hesitant to push her doctor for that, as hse has alot of other health issues. She wasborn with her bladder outside her body, so she has an ostomy her whole life, along with countless ct scans, xrays, etc etc. since birth, which worries me for radiation exposure. Can someone please confirm for me whether these blasts are truly a concern or am I barking up the wrong tree? I told her I would check on a forum, and if the advice is to pursue further investigation, then she is open to it. Maybe Im wrong, please dont hesitate to set me straight if I am! Twin fight! 🙂 Thank you very much!

bobderek
    Blocked

I am not a doctor and I do not know what the results mean, but if it was me I would want to follow up with a expert hematologist at a hospital fully equipped to do further testing.

Anne Ellis
    Participant

Thank you very much for your response. It is as I suspected. From reading posts here, this is nothing to fool around with.
    Wishing you the best,

Annie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert