MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

platelet counts dropping – has the vidaza stopped working?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board platelet counts dropping – has the vidaza stopped working?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jen06

My dad (who has RAEB)is now about to have his 6th round of vidaza. Before the treatment started, his platelets dropped to 19, however after a couple of months they soon went up to the 200 mark and even reached 300 at times. However, during the last 2-3 weeks they have dropped rapidly and yestereday were only 110. He does not seem any iller in himself, but is obviously concered. I have read many posts were the vidaza suddenly stops working – is this the way it normally happens? We live in the UK so do not have as many options as those in some other countries. Would appreciate any advice.

sdrake

jen06,

Dad’s platelets have fluctuated between a low of 50 and a high of about 275 since he has been taking Vidaza. I don’t want to tell you it isn’t a cause of concern, but while 110 is a little low, it isn’t bad.

Shari

SLStrout

jen06,

My husband’s platelets have fluctuated quite a bit since his diagnosis last August, fluctuating even before he started taking vidaza. They were as low as 11,000 in early December 06, prior to his second round of vidaza. After that round, they went up to as high as 81,000. Then dropped to 14,000 in early January 07, then went to 34,000. He finished his third round of vidaza two weeks ago, and we do not know what the results of that are yet. So, it’s a bit of a scary ride, but he’s feeling and doing fine.

Terri

Bobs Platlets never get over 50 he has been on vidaza for over two years. We wish they would get up over a 100. He does the pineapple and other supplements but The plts don’t budge.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert