MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

49 yr. old – Diagnosed last year

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 49 yr. old – Diagnosed last year

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sherri Lani
    Participant

I am thankful to see this support group and know I’m not alone. I was diagnosed with MDS last year, and like all other posts, was caught in a whirlwind of confusion. I do lab work every 3 months to watch my blood counts, and to date, have maintained consistent results. I recently had my EPO checked and it was shockingly high (65 mlU/ml), is this normal given the condition? I consider myself to be very healthy – eating right, exercising, and positive attitude. Am hoping to hear from other members about their journey and any insight. Thank you and stay strong!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Sherri, Thank you for posting. Your increased EPO level may be due to the overproduction of red blood cells that occurs in response to an event such as low blood oxygen level. Have you ever received a second opinion from one of our MDS Centers of Excellence? It would be best to seek the advice of an MDS expert so that you can get answers to what may be an underlying cause for your elevated level.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by .
    Timothy Todaro
    Participant

Do I have MDS?

My Mother died of MDS, (and other complications) but that was what was on the death certificate at age 78. I am wondering if I have MDS; aware that it is not hereditary but read it could be. Symptoms I have are: Former Smoker, had Radiation treatment after Radical Prostectamy last year. Bruise/bleed very easy. Last blood work was in February 2016; WBC 3.9, RBC 4.4, Hemoglobin 13.5, Hematocrit-Whole Blood 39.7, Platelet count 126, and Lymphocyte 17. I have an upcoming appointment with my GP and am having blood work done again. If similar results should I ask to see a Hematologist or am I being a Hypochondriac? Any help/comments/opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tim Todaro
    Vilano Beach Florida

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert