MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

91 year old dad starting hospice

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board 91 year old dad starting hospice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sue Broadbooks
    Participant

Nearly 2 years ago, my dad was diagnosed with AML, likely progressed from MDS. He’s been on a regimen of decitabine infusions, then later added Venclexta orally. In March a second bone marrow bx showed the AML in remission. His MDS has progressed though, with falling cell counts of all categories. His hemoglobin finally fell under 7.0, and now he is transfusion-dependent. We are talking with hospice today.

I’m having a hard time finding information about hospice care for end-stage MDS – what to expect and what is helpful for comfort. Also, I’m wondering about what sort of comfort care can be administered in hospice care. Since none of his current treatment is curative, can any of the current treatment continue – should it? (decitibine, Venclexta, transfusions, preventative antibiotic/anti-fungal/anti-viral) His oncologist has given him options of continuing all, some, or none, but hasn’t made any specific recommendations. It’s rather confusing.

I would appreciate any guidance or sharing of experience. Thank you!

Ashley Moncrief

Hi Sue,

I’m so sorry to hear that you and your father are going through such a rough time. By definition, hospice care focuses on quality of life and comfort rather than curative measures. Palliative care, on the other hand, focuses on quality of life and symptom management; this can be combined with curative therapy. Sometimes the terms hospice and palliative care get used interchangeably, but they really have different practical applications. In regard to hospice, I recommend asking what specifically your father would be allowed to continue because sometimes if varies on a case-by-case basis and it can also vary based on the company you select. I hope this helps!

Ashley

Sue Broadbooks
    Participant

Thanks, Ashley. We were able to get a meeting with hospice today. They were very helpful and informative. Dad would need to be ready to disconinue the decitabine, venclexta, and transfusions. He would be able to continue the antibiotic/antifungal/antiviral. It’s helpful to have some definitive information!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert