MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Alcohol and mds

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Alcohol and mds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carolyn Allen
    Participant

Does mds alter the rate you process alcohol? My partner has been diagnosed. Last night he dhad 8 cans of beer over 9 hours but read 1.8 11 hours later.does anyone know? He vomited during the night and does not remember that. He has always had a beer regularly

Jerry Allen
    Participant

That doesn’t sound like a regular beer. Is the 1.8 you refer to his ETOH (alcohol) level? If so, he’s just drunk. Kinda sounds like what you’re dealing with.

Carolyn Allen
    Participant

I just wondered if mds alters the livers ability to handle alcohol. it was regular beer.

justa0
    Participant

MDS changes everything. One’s life is in the blood. I am sorry to hear your partner has been diagnosed. I hope they learn to adjust their life with the diagnosis. It is also difficult to be the observer of someone with the diagnosis. My prayers go out to you and your partner.

Carolyn Allen
    Participant

Thank you justaO. It was a bombshell when the DR told him he had within 5 years life expectancy. I wish he hadnt said this to him. He is 77.and is a much valued drummer in a band. However apart from a nasty infection at Christmas (needing 11 i.v. antibiotic infusions) he is feeling well.
    Thank you for your kindness. He will stay on his shandies!

Ian Palangio
    Participant

I’m an MDS patient, and know that if I drink alchohol that my heart rate goes up significantly – I’m not sure why. Just my body struggling to process the alcohol in some way. So I don’t drink much anymore – but do like to enjoy a glass of wine or a beer maybe once a week now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert