MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Almost lost mom

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Almost lost mom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JSRN

It has been an up and down roller coaster ride the past 3 weeks. Mom fell walking her dog. She had completed a 6 month course of Vidaza. The neupogen shots were making her very fatigued. She was finally starting to feel more energy. The fall resulted in 3 fractures of the pelvis and her right elbow. Her hgb the week of the fall was 9.6. She was so happy about that and had bought a steak to celebrate it staying up. The day after the fall she was 7.4. And confusion had set in. She was transfused and had surgery on the elbow. Each day her counts dropped until she was back down to 7.2 in 3 days. I was afraid the accident had exacerbated the MDS and we would lose her. We were talking Hospice and being the only child would have to make the decision. Fortunately discharge date was delayed 2 days due to the weekend. Well she came out of her confusion on Saturday and said she wanted to try rehab. But if her counts kept dropping, she would stop all treatments. So Monday her hgb was 9.4 and they gave her 2 units to top her off. Putting her in a nursing home was hard. And her confusion was still a come and go thing. They tried a pain patch on her and that really messed her up. I have them do weekly CBC’s. Last week she was 11.4! This week she was staying confused and not wanting to leave her room except for therapy. I made them get a urine sample since I suspected she had an infection. I WAS RIGHT! Hoping the antibiotics will help clear up the confusion. And I had a family conference and told them to get her out of bed more, no more bedpans, etc. I explained even if her counts are down, she has to have some activity. So she is up more today and she sounds stronger. And then the icing on the cake. Her hgb today is still 11.4!! laugh
    So maybe the Vidaza did work. Her oncologist had no faith in it but she wanted to give it another try. He told her if it worked he would eat crow. So she sees him in 2 weeks. He is retiring and it will be her last visit with him. I am hunting for a toy crow so she can bring it with her and tell him to eat it.
    I am being cautiously optimistic as I have learned over the past 2 weeks how anything can change.
    She really wants to go back home after rehab. I just hope the mental status improves and she is safe enough to return there.
    One day at a time.

Debster01

Hey JSRN-her hgb is AWESOME! Definitely encouraging. Good for her to keep trying the Vidaza. Will pray the doc will eat that crow!!! Deb

JSRN
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Debster01:
    Hey JSRN-her hgb is AWESOME! Definitely encouraging. Good for her to keep trying the Vidaza. Will pray the doc will eat that crow!!! Deb

Well it was nice while it lasted. This week it is down to 9.2. On the bright side, she is no longer confused and definitely working hard at rehab.
    Will see her oncologist for the last time on Monday and get 2 units. So I guess we are back to just supportive treatment with transfusions as she doesn’t qualify for Revlimid.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert