MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

AML causes fevers?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board AML causes fevers?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lucym

Mom still in the hospital 6 weeks since chemo induction started, 1 week since 2nd attempt at induction. Aside from the low counts (WBC .05, HGB 7.6, PLT 8) she is constantly having fevers daily. They have done all types of cultures and can not find any infections, she has had CAT Scan, ultrasound nothing shows. I spoke to infectious disease doctor tonight and she wants to take her off some of the (6)antibiodics they have her on because she feels the fevers are coming from the AML. Does anyone have any information on this? My Mom just wants to go home and they tell her when she does not have a fever she can go home but if the AML is causing it and they can’t get it under control how will she ever get to go home? She is so tired, does not walk much so now retaining water in her ankles so they started her on lasix. I really hate this whole situation. Any help on the fever issue would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Lucy

eve

me dad was in the hospital with a fever – all the tests and cultures were negative – they gave him a cocktail of several antibiotics and eventually the fever went away – it was a long haul, but not 6 weeks

i know it must be hard for your mom to walk around, but it is imperative that she get out of bed and at least sit in a chair and walk a little so that she doesn’t get water in her lungs

good luck
    eve

Brenda P

I would say trust the doctor–the long term use of antibiotics can eventually hurt her kidneys or liver (especially vancomycin). Also it can cause resistant bacteria to grow so the antibiotics won’t work next time. Good luck!

SusanJ

Lucy,

My dad also has fevers. He doesn’t have AML yet. His counts are WBC: 2.4, RBC: 3.4, and PLTS:34. We go to the doctor today so these could have changed. He had a bad case of phlebitis in his arms about 2 months ago and ran high fevers with that. He had to have 7 days of IV antibiotics for that. Now he has started running a fever just about every other day. It runs between 100.4-101.7. He takes 2 Tylenol and then usually doesn’t have fever any more for that day. All the tests for infections have been negative and urine tests are okay too. His last bone marrow biopsy showed 6% blasts. We are going to talk to the doctor today about starting Revlimid. I think if your mom wants to go home, she should be able to go. All of this is so hard to deal with. I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Keep me posted. I am here for you.

Susan

lucym

Well today the doctor says there is no blasts in the bone marrow only in the blood. So now he does not think the leukemia is causing the fevers, they are going to do more checks on my Mom’s heart. Today her WBC went to 1.7 (up from .5 yesterday) Can anyone tell me if the fact that it is not in marrow only in blood is this good/bad or what? Considering her HGB was 7. something yesterday and she got 2 pints of someone elses blood how can there be any blasts in the blood. Any information welcomed.
    Thanks
    Lucy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert