MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Anyone allergic to Penicillin and possibly Sulfa based antibiotics

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Anyone allergic to Penicillin and possibly Sulfa based antibiotics

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Cheryle Eckhardt
    Participant

My 56 year old husband was recently diagnosed with MDS. I am not entirely sure of the genetic breakdown. We have only been in this for a month. I know his is medium aggressive.

My husband was allergic to Penicillin as a boy and tells doctors when asked. I say this, because it I may have read there is a increased allergy to Sulfa based drugs. Over the years he has been prescribed many antibiotics. I know though over the last year he has massive doses of Sulfa based antibiotics, his blood levels began to decrease. None of the doctors seemed to take notice. He had several hospitalizations and I knew something was wrong, but no one investigated any further. I have read how severe sulfa allergies can (in rare cases) cause blood issues, including aplastic anemia.

I may just be reaching for some reason my that husband has been diagnosed with this terrrible disease, but if there is even a remote chance that this is somehow related to antibiotics allergies, I want the information to get out so it doesn’t maybe have to happen to others.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert