MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Anyone had successful BMT for myelofibrosis?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Anyone had successful BMT for myelofibrosis?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi,

My Dad has undergone a bone marrow transplant but engraftment of his sister’s cells are a major challenge now. Hence, I would like to know if anyone had undergone a successful bone marrow transplant to cure/control myelofibrosis?

Please share the regime/drugs used by your doctor. Thank you very much.

Binnie

Hi, Keeping in mind that everyone seems to react differently to this disease, I can tell you that my late husband was dx raeb May 02. He underwent a sct (his brothers cells) June 03. At first, his counts started to come up alittle and he was starting to get some strength back. Then counts started going down again. BMB showed that he had 100% donor cells, but the chemo given before sct had scarred his marrow causing excessive fiber that was not permitting the good cells into the marrow to start replicating. By March 04, BMB showed some clearing of the fibrosis, so he tried the mini-transplant (bro. cells again). Unforturnately, 3 mo. later bmb showed 100% donor cells, no blasts but no engraftment. His drs. didn’t prescribe anything or order any procedures in connection with the fibrosis. He was taking prograf (anti-rejection) after each transplant. This was our experience with transplant and myelofibrosis, but my husbands fibrosis was a result of the chemo and you said your dad was dx mds and myelofibrosis at the same time. Everyone is different as you well know if you have read past posts. Will be thinking of you and your father and wishing him the best.

Binnie, thank you for your response. We are experiencing a similar issue. My dad had his second SCT in Nov-Dec. Its a mini transplant using his sister’s cells. At 100 days, it showed 100% donor cells, no blasts. But the engraftment has come away. The doc is tapering off the anti rejection drugs quickly with a view of infusion more donor cells.

I am hoping to get posts on how the engraftment experience is improved in myelofiborsis cases. Thank you for sharing.

Karenj

Hi Vanguard..

I was reading your posts and I would appreciate it if you could tell me what the “storb protocal” is?. What preconditioning did he have with his first SCT and for the second? Did he have a full SCT the first time around?

What happens when he loses engraftment? Does he go back to his original counts? Is he no longer at risk for GVHD? I’m sorry I can’t answer the question you had for the board… I would appreciate any information you can provide about your father’s transplants. Thank you very much. Karen

Karenj, by “Storb protocol”, I am referring to the method of transplant pioneered by Prof R Storb of Fred Hutch.

Loss of engraftment – Believe the counts will dip. GVHD probably exists if the graft is still present. If there is loss of engraftment, I don’t expect GVHD to be present.

The above are my general responses. Please provide the background to your queries so that I can frame my replies better.

Karenj

Hi Vanguard,

What chemotherapy did your dad receive prior to the mini-transplant (Nov/Dec)? Did he have a full Stem cell transplant the first time? I’m sorry the engraftment came away. I hope he has success with his new treatment. Thank you. Karen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert