MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Aranesp to Reblozyl

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Aranesp to Reblozyl

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christine Knutte
    Participant

I have been on Aranesp for almost two years with hemoglobin trending down. Had a bag of blood last week when I hit 7.8 and had shortness of breath. Next drug is Reblozyl. I know nausea is a side effect which I would not like. What was your experience?

Kenneth Haag
    Participant

Hello Christine.
    Concerning Reblozyl: Please note that I can only report my own experiences with this drug. After my second dose, hemoglobin levels went up and quality of life went down. Among the many side effects listed for Reblozyl, “fatigue” doesn’t come close to describing a condition that, for me, feels more like “zombification”. I feel completely drained of energy, sucked down into a stupor that isn’t relieved by a nap or even a good night’s sleep. My legs and feet are so painful that I can only shuffle along with a cane. I frequently stumble when my legs suddenly buckle, so that I’ve become afraid of falling.
    Before starting Reblozyl I was taking Reticrit, but this didn’t improve my HGB levels, so I needed transfusions about every three weeks. But during most of those three weeks I was walking a mile or so in a local park, going to the grocery store and running other errands, feeding the birds, playing music and enjoying my 81st year in the world. Now I sit in a recliner chair and sleep most of the time. With transfusions alone, I at least knew I would have those good days between times. I don’t know how long Reblozyl stays in the system, but I don’t plan to take another drop of it. If you read through the past two years of reports from other members here, you’ll find a good many “cautionary tales” like my own. Wishing you all the best and then some.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert