MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Aranesp vs Procrit

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Aranesp vs Procrit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Terri

Bob’s doctors office switched him over to Aranesp instead of Procrit something about that is is now approved for MDS and they are switching all patients. I have to call the DR on Monday we are not happy with this, He has been doing fine why change anything. Aranesp is supposed to the every two weeks or so they are still telling us once aweek.
    Any input is appreciated.

patti

Hi Terri,

My MIL was on aranesp long ago (last August) for her MDS. She would get shots once a week. After 6 months it did her no good and we took her off of it. We just started procrit last week to see if it would help. From what I’m seeing right now, it’s not. Although they said it can take four weeks for it to start working. If your husband is doing well on procrit I would push back and make them keep doing it. They cannot force you to change to aranesp. My guess is aranesp is more expensive and they make more money on it then procrit because procrit is an older drug. I don’t know how good your doctor is with you but my MIL’s is terrible and I finally threatened to find another doctor unless he did what I wanted so I would just say advocate as much as you can for your husband. Why rock the boat if he’s doing well?

Patti

gemloyear

Hi Terri glen’s hemo. switched him over to aranesp 4or 5 weeks ago. he seems to be doing better on this than he was on the procrit. His blood counts have come up and are more stable. They started him on once a wk. now if his counts are up they skip a week and he can go 2 wks.Doc’s have put all of their patients on aranesp now.I will check the difference in price.
    Ellie

gemloyear

Hi Terri,This is a site that my daughter e-mailed to me.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=27208#
    and– http:/www.aranesp.com
    Hope this helps answer some questions
    Ellie

Terri

thank you ellie and patti. I am going to call the Doctor Monday to see why they switched. Bob has been feeling very tired more than normal and lost a little of the appetite. Not sure if it is a coincidence but I got really sick last week battling a terrible cold. We are maybe thinking he got a touch of it but since he has so many vitamins and supplements for his immune system he does not have the symptons I do. Its hard to stay away from him and I know germs are in the house from me. It just is weird is it that or is it the aranesp.

Sandy M

Terri,
    I can relate to the feeling of not knowing for sure what might be causing a change …everytime they tried something new on Joe, we would wonder if it was the switch or something he might of picked up , like a germ somewhere, if it is a cold, then all the vitamins and supplement will see him through… arenesp is suppose to be the same thing as procrit isn’t it ? but longer acting…that’s what we were led to believe anyway…either way, I hope Bob feels better soon

Jimbob

Terri,
    Last year, I had a few weekly procrit shots before my doctor switched me to monthly aranesp shots. I do not remember any bad effects but ended the shots after just 2 months.

Elle,
    Thanks for the article. Glad to ear that Glen is doing better.
    Jim

Terri

Doctor Put him back on the Procrit, apparently the nurses just assumed to switch him since they were not stocking that much procrit anymore. There is now a large note on his file.
    He is feeling better. The arenesp really gave him more fatique and messed with his stomach.
    We go again this Thursday his HGB had drop 3/10 of a pt for the week that he was on it, now that he is back on the procrit curious to see this weeks cbc.

Sandy L

Hi Terri

Glad that he is back on Procrit. When something works why give it up. I have been trying to get to the phone to call you but ……………….

Hopefully I will feel like talking soon. Right now I am so tired of talking. Do you know how I feel?

Bec

Terri,

Really strange to read these post.
    Dad has been on procrit and about two weeks ago without notification they tried to switch him to another drug (not sure what) every two weeks. Mom “raised cain” and they put him back on procrit scheduled once per week.

I wonder what is going on.

Hope Bob feels better soon.

Bec

Terri

Bec, I was told that Medicare just approved the aranesp for MDS patients, Doctors office seem to use Medicare guidelines for all. We have private insurance so I have no clue why Medicare guidelines would come into play. Waiting to see Bobs counts this week since he is back on the procrit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert