MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Are MDS Patients considered “immunocompromised” for booster purposes?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Are MDS Patients considered “immunocompromised” for booster purposes?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tam
    Participant

I fall in the low risk category and wonder if anyone else in that category has received a third Pfizer or Moderna booster vaccine. According to CDC guidelines, current cancer patients fall in the “immunocompromised” category. My hematologist’s assistant nurse said the hospital has not come out with their list of immunocompromised conditions so she will not sign off on the booster yet. CVS will administer the booster to compromised patients with a doctor’s sign-off.

Raymond Bourgeois
    Participant

Tam,
    MDS is a blood cancer according to the National LEUKEMIA/LYMPHOMA society. From what I understand, the additional vaccine for Covid is offered to those with compromised immune systems, and all with blood cancers. I do not think your risk factor matters, even if it is low, you still have MDS. I am getting my 3rd shot today.
    Hope this helps,
    Raymond Bourgeois

Bonnie Shaffer
    Participant

I have very low risk MDS and my doctor scheduled an appointment for me immediately. Got my 3rd Pfizer shot on Monday.

Michael
    Participant

I am low risk and am not receiving any treatment (5+ yrs of watch and wait) for MDS. Based on what I’ve read it doesn’t appear that I’m as yet eligible for the booster. My next hematologist appointment is on 8/30 and I’ll surely inquire at that time.

Sue
    Participant
    Jimmy Greenhut
    Participant

Had my 3rd shot of Moderna 10 days ago

Bonnie Condon
    Participant

I have low risk MDS (diagnosed a year ago) and am currently dealing with Hgb at 8.4 and a low neutrophil count. I have been getting Procrit for 3 months. Just had my 2nd BMB Thursday to determine if something else is happening. I went to Walgreens in Illinois and had to sign a document that I had one of a variety of diseases. Bone marrow cancer was one of them. They didn’t require anything from my doctor, though my Hem Onc was supportive of me getting the 3rd dose.I got my 3rd Moderna vaccination and experienced similar side effects as the 2nd vaccination–aches,headache, nausea and no appetite for about 16 hours.

Michael
    Participant

At my 8/30 hematologist appointment, the doctor strongly encouraged me to get the booster ASAP. She indicated that although not currently getting treatment, my blood malignancy qualified as immune compromised. I’m schedule to get the booster on 9/8.

Dr. Lin
    Participant

Yes, all patients with blood cancers are considered immunocompromised and strongly encouraged to get the booster shot.

boomer81
    Participant

Good afternoon. I’m new to the forum. Diagnosed with MDS 15 years ago (81 now) Have had no treatment. Went to MD today and still on watch and wait but numbers are creeping lower.I write this to let you know about some meds I’m taking. I read which if I remember correctly was a Japanese study done years ago.It claimed some success in raising red blood cells and platelets. The meds are Vitamin K2 (45000 mcg/day), vitamin D3 (5000iu/day) and vitamin B12 (5000 MCG/DAY). I’ve been taking them for at least 10 years. I would have no idea if they have helped with my longevity or I’ve just gotten lucky. I ran this past my oncologist years ago and she had no problem with me taking it. I would suggest checking with your M.D. but I have had no side effects at all. They are only vitamins. Good luck to all of us on this journey.

Eric King
    Participant

I have low risk MDS. I’ve been getting my Covid vaccinations via my PCP, and he won’t schedule me until the CDC approves the Moderna for 65 and over. I expect that will happen next week, then I can call them and schedule the booster.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert