MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

ASXL1 & IDH1 Mutations

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board ASXL1 & IDH1 Mutations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cammie Vogel
    Participant

Hello,

My dad was diagnosed with low grade MDS a few months ago. Wondering if anyone out there has the ASXL1 and IDH1 mutations, he has both.

Hoping to find someone in the same boat to compare apples to apples and connect him with someone.

Thanks

Michael
    Participant

Bingo, you found me. I have both mutations plus SRSF2. I am low grade, low risk classification. I was diagnosed in June 2016 and have been on watch and wait since then. Sole cytopenia is neutropenia with very low ANC, always below 500. Hgb is generally around 11.5 to 12 and platelets above 200. I have had skin infections and so far so good. I’m scheduled for Next BMB in November. I do get monthly monitoring for blood work. I am 67 yr old Caucasian male.

Best wishes to you and your dad.

Cammie Vogel
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply, Michael. Unfortunately, my dad is very anemic with his hemoglobin dropping into the 7’s, he’s had 4 blood transfusions since May 11th. He needed another one 7 1/2 weeks later and now it’s been about every 3 1/2 weeks. He’s been on Tibsovo for the IDH1 since July 4th but it hasn’t seemed to really kick in yet, but the Dr said it’ll take 3 months to know if it’s working. His platelets are 121 and now his WBC is low at 2.0, as of the past two weeks.

He’d really like to connect with you offline, would you be willing to speak to him? Not sure how to get your contact info privately…

Michael
    Participant

Cammie ~

I don’t consider myself much of a resource for your dad. While I have the two mutations the course of the disease for your dad is much different than mine. The only significant comments made to me regarding the mutations is that there are drugs other than chemo associated with the IDH mutation. Since I am still not receiving treatment I have no other frame of reference regarding the the interactions/ effects of those drugs.

Best wishes to you and your dad.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert