MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Average Temp Low?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Average Temp Low?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jimbob

Pattie just mentioned that her MIL’s average temp has always been 97.1. That is my average temp and others with various forms of MDS have also siad they have an average temp that is below the 98.6 “norm”. Could there be something to this?
    At times, I have had my temp taken every 2 – 4 hours, around the clock, and have come up with my real average. A temperature of 99 is a fever for me. THe doctors tell us, when we are post transplant, to notify the BMT center if we go over 100.6. I feel like crap if I get that high and had periods when I sustained 103+ and was no longer even aware of what was going on around me.
    Anyhow, could a low average temperature a warning sign of a predisposition towards MDS?
    Jim

shirlsgirl

Hi Jim,

Found some info: (The Cold Body Page),interesting reading smile http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/coldbody.html

….Core Temperature Lowered By:
    Hypoglycemia and “low fuel” levels
    Reduced calorie diets (Thus “Longevity” diet may not work.)
    Tension and Fear, esp. without obvious methods of resolution.
    Inadequate protein, thyrosine, phenylalanine in the diet.
    Oppressive environments
    Abusive or disrespectful people
    Some forms of chemical exposure
    Soda pop and artificial sweetener “addiction”
    Beta blockers, Carbon Monoxide, Hypnotic drugs, Cholinergic drugs, sedatives, tranquilizers, many cardiovascular drugs, and ethanol can all lower body temperature. Ref: Toxidromes and US Office Consumer Affairs
    Sleep disorders / lack of sleep can lower body temperature. Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, and out of sync body temp. cycles.
    Too much light in the evening, either from watching TV late or late netting with a white screen, can push Melatonin cycles off, resulting in too little Melatonin when you get to bed, and too much in the morning. this in turn affects body temperature cycles.
    Candida Albecans and other yeasts produce hormone analogues which can suppress body temperature.
    Almost all of Dr. Cathcart’s EI/MCS and Candida patients have been found to have low body temperature.
    Anemia
    Thyroid problems, T3/T4 conversion problems, either in the thyroid gland, or in the cells themselves.
    See also Dangers of Glandular Extract Based Therapies
    Mitochondria related problems, including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Porphyria.

patti

Jim,

I hope it’s not a warning sign! I’ve had a low body temp most of my life because of low functioning thyroid. But I know what you mean about 99 being a fever.

Interesting thing to note though.

patti

lindajo

I have low body temperature most of the time too. When it is 99 I feel totally feverish. When it hits 100.4 I am incapacitated. I often have to call my daughter at 100 because I lose consciousness for a little while and have to sleep. We let it run around 100.4 for a couple of hours and then it generally breaks.

I have only had four or five times in 15 years when it didn’t and I had to call the doctor. If I went to the emergency room every time it spiked, I would be there every other week.

Jimbob

A few weeks after my SCT I had a temp just over 100 and felt very bad. The BMT clinic dctor on call suggested that I go to the nearest ER as it was less than 1/3 the distance as going to the main hospital. That was a mistake. They had no idea on how to care for a leukemia patient who had had a SCT and insisted that a temp just over 100 was no big thing. From then on I went directly to the BMT center for an care.

gemloyear

hi Jim, Glen also has a low body temp. usually 97.5 or lower. His blood pressure is always on the low side. In his case it may be due to anemia, which he had prior to the Mds.Notice on the list that Jodi posted some of the possible causes of low body temp. are also possible causes of ITP and MDS.
    It’s a wonder that any of us survive all of the chemicals and junk that we put into our bodies.
    Ellie

Terri

Actually Bob is just the Opposite his temp is regularly 99, 99.1 It is rare to get a 98.6 or lower from him. Doctor does not seem concerned unless it escalates.

Sandy M

Joe’s normal temp. ran around 97 degrees, when he did go up to 100.5 degrees I was told to rush him to the E.R as well, they had no clue and just stuck us in a room like we were nuts, ofcourse when these things happened he also was wearing a mask ,that I had requested from them (and the looks I got …geeeeesh… they would of left us in the waiting room around germs and I had to advocate for Joe because he had spiked up to 101.9 and come to find out he had “sepsis” and it nearly killed him because of the lack of knowledge (just our luck..haha )so after I ranted and raved they admitted him and he ended up staying in a private, special seclusion room, and spent the next two weeks fighting the sepsis, NEVER MESS AROUND WITH A FEVER ! even a slight one, it could turn out to be a matter of life and death

ww5

Bill’s temperature has been 97.4 for years. He was diagnosed with MDS RARS this year, but now thinks he had it for many years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert