MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

blasts in blood 89% any hope?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board blasts in blood 89% any hope?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lucym

Mom still in hospital fevers returned today after 5 day break, last day of chemo, CBC shows 89% in blood. I am starting to lose hope anyone have any suggestions? Please God just let her come home see her grandchildren and feel good for a little while. Praying for us all
    Lucy

kristyk

Lucy
    I took 2 cycles for my mom to show reduction in blasts, and it wasn’t until 6th that all blasts were gone from bone marrow and blood. Hoping for better #’s for your mom soon. I will keep you all in prayers.
    Kristy

eve

lucy

when my dad was in the hospital with a fever his peripheral blasts count was high – the fever threw his whole blood chemistry off

never give up hope

eve

lucym

Today was a better day…..we took my Mom home. She was so happy to be back in her house after 8 weeks in the hospital. She ate more today than she has in a week, she was also awake a lot more. Hopefully in the next 28 days we will get her mentally and physically stronger to handle another chemo treatment. Her wbc 1.3(but they say that is mostly blasts which I don’t quit understand) plt 61(after tx from my brother)RBC 10.2 after 3 units. But those blasts are still there, we are just taking it one day at a time. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Wishing better days for us all
    Lucy

patti

Lucy,

I’m so glad you got to bring your mom home finally. I bet she’ll do well recouping in her own home and her own bed. It seems others have had success with the decitabine lately. Hope it works for your mom also. Hang in there. This is a trying time.

all the best,

Patti

Jimbob

Lucy,
    When I had my leukemic explosion, my blasts were over 90% with 0ver 85% being immature, undiffereniated but leukemic cells. They did aspheresis and chemo to bring it down. The other thing that may actually have helped was they accidentally severed 3 aerteries in my upperr sinuses and I bleed out 5-6 pints of blood a day that had to be replaced with good red bllod cells, plasma, platlets and constant saline solution. Blood-letting is not a recommended method but it seemed to help for me. Enough so that the CMML which became AML was able to be cured with a SCT.
    Jim

Terri

Last Week we saw the doctor, All numbers still about the same except the WBC were elevated to 45, so they quickly started him that day back on the Vidaza even though they wanted to give him a break since he had the Brain Bleed. I hope this brings them down and that the blast are not that severe, Doctor was going to look at a blood smear and I would think if the smears were bad they would have called us back in or he could be waiting for this weeks numbers after the Vidaza dose, so afraid he is moving to AML. But We also had lightened up on the vitamin and supplmeents when in the hospital, have now gotten back on track.
    Just keep praying that The Lord is watching over us all.
    God Bless
    Terri

eve

terri

you and bob are in my thoughts and prayers

have they adjusted bob’s vidaza dosage or are they still giving him the original 130 mg for 7 days

my dad has been on the 80 mg for 3 day regimen and he seems to bounce back a little quicker (the drug still takes a big toll on him, but recovery is faster than before)

good luck
    eve

patti

Terri,

Hang in there. It sounds like Bob has a good hemo that follows him carefully. Praying that all will go well with this round of Vidaza. I keep telling my MIL that there are ups and downs. Two steps forward, one step back. It will never be straight uphill. Praying this is just a bump to go over before things go up again.

Take care.

Patti

lucym

Jim,
    Yesterday was 7 days after my Mom finished her 5 days of Dacogen. We went to the doctor, she had a terrrible episode with vomiting and diarrehea. Then she got her blood drawn, HGB was at 6.9 plt 3. The doctor wanted to start her on fluids and admitt her, my Mom said No way. I said lets give her plt and red blood and then make a decision. She got a tx of my sisters plt and then went to 68. Then 2 pint of red blood. After 6 hours at the doctor’s office and 3 tx the doctor came in and said, you look like a different person, my mom replied I feel like a different person and I am going home. Doctor said OK be sure to drink plenty of gatorade and she will go back there tomorrow. I am hoping the excessive black diarreaha is the bad blasts leaving her system and that we will see some drop in blast count. Thanks for the information you gave me a little more hope. Be well.
    Lucy

eve

lucy

black bowel movements can be an indication of internal bleeding – maybe you should call a gastro doctor and have it checked

good luck
    eve

lynette

Lucy,
    I agree w/ Eve. Ususally black, tarry colored stools indicate bleeding. I really can empathize with you. I so very hard to watch one’s Mother suffer. You and your Mom are in my prayers.
    Lynette

kristyk

Lucy
    Yes please have them check her for internal bleeding. This is what happened with my mom back in November. She was bleeding in her abdomen and until they did a scope and fixed it, she was losing red blood…kep getting transfusion afer transfusion with numbers that kept fallling. Finally shared that her stools had been dark and she was in so fast for that scope. With plts being so low, bleeding can just happen. Please have it checked! Good luck
    Kristy

lucym

We have told the doctors about the dark stool, but with a WBC of .08 they will not do a scope because of infection issues. We are caught. Today Mom’s HGB was 8.4 she is getting 2 more units of red blood. Platlets were 10 after going to 68 on Monday (after she got my sister’s plt.) Very frustrating.
    Lucy

eve

there are other tests that can be done instead of scoping – my dad had one that is called a GI bleeding scan – they inject isotobes that bind to the blood and then you go under this machine and it can usually tell where the bleeding is coming from – check with the doctor

good luck
    eve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert