MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Blood transfusion and aranesp.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Blood transfusion and aranesp.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joe Catalano
    Participant

I am on watch/ wait since diagnosed in June. Low blood count with dysplasia. Very tired in the mornings.Still not within the parameters to get the aranesp shot. Is it possible I would need a transfusion before aranesp . My hemoglobin is a 10 point to making it unnecessary to get the aranesp.Anyone in a similar circumstance?

Karen LaSota
    Participant

Joe
    10 is not too bad. Even with transfusions every 20 days, we never get over a 9.2 level. It drops daily until we hit 6.9 or 7. The shots did not help after three months.

Joe Catalano
    Participant

Karen, thank you very much for letting me know that.

Chandrawati Cahyani
    Participant

Karen, with transfusion every 20 days, how about the iron overload. Do not you get EPO injection

Chandrawati Cahyani
    Participant

I was diagnosed first with PRIMARY BONE MARROW LYMPHOMA. But after 3 biopsy during 2 months period, my onlogist decide that I suffer from MDS not LYmphona. In this 2 weeks I will got another biopsy to know the MDS i suffer is low risk or high risk. In this 2 months, I got 2 transfusions of 2 and 3 packed, but then my ferritin very high. So the oncologist gave me exjade to chellat the iron. Any other of you experience MDS for years, what did you do to handle the MDS

Karen LaSota
    Participant

Yes, iron overload has been a problem for the past year. Used to get transfusions every week. Now get desferal (drug) infused with every blood transfusion.

Joe Catalano
    Participant

Karen, Are you asking me if I get aranesp or are you telling me not to get it

Karen LaSota
    Participant

Joe
    Sorry I was responding to another question about iron overload. If you have a chance for aransep to work for you – I can’t think why not.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chandrawati Cahyani
    Participant

Karen, how long have you got transfusion every week. So EPO did not work on you

Karen LaSota
    Participant

EPOs only work for about 35% of patients. So no, did not work beyond a few months.
    Weekly infusions for about 8 months.
    Now infusions every 20 days with an injection of Reblozyl® (luspatercept-aamt)wvwey 21 days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert