MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

BMT Funding

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board BMT Funding

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JulieMarie

My mom is preping for a BMT no date set yet. How has everyone funded these? We don’t want to bankrupt mom, but the insurance company is refusing to pay.

Suzanne

keep after that insurance compnay. appeal the dicision.I have talked to others that had trouble in the beginning but in the end the company did pay. Hospital patient advocates may help.

JulieMarie

Suzanne,

we were told it was going to cost $300K and mom’s policy has a max pay out per year of $100K how would we get around this?

Terri

Julie, See if your Moms insurance has a case manager that they can assign her, They maybe able to help. I know when Bob was first diagnosed my insurance company when they saw the bills start coming in more then norm due to the hospital stays etc they assigned me one. Also our insurance has something for Transplants its an added feature over and above my norm. I would try and find out as much as possible from someone at the insurance company.

Suzanne

You are looking for a clause or rider that covers catastrophic illnesses. I also was assigned a case manager that negotiated with my company to get some of my needs taken care of. I think you are talking a quarter of a million not counting the medical needs for the special care needed for at least a year of follow up and addressing the problems that may come up there. Most places that do transplants have patient services offices that can help with suggestions for ways to get the bills paid. If her policy actually has an iron clad annual limit like that you may need to go elsewhere. Any possibility of her qualifying for medicaid?

JulieMarie

THanks for the replies. We do have a case worker with the insurance company, and a financial case worker at the hospital. I know there will be bills that we are responsible for no matter what the insurance company decides. Since my mom has been a nurse for so long, until she is off of work for a month will she qualify for ssd and well, medcare /caide is not an option right now cause she has more than $15K in the bank.

Suzanne

I had to apply for SS disability . Then remain disabled for 6 months after it was granted before they started payments.

mdsmom

Our search for a donor was done at MD Anderson. My daughters insurance pays only after a donor is located. I asked Anderson to provide the search at no cost to us, they paused briefly and said yes. Our cost would have been $7500 and we just didn’t have it. The search took about 1 yr and recently produced two 6/6 perfect donors. We plan to use them only as a last resort. We are very happy to welcome them to our cure!

Lolam

The National Transplant Assistance Fund will help you with fundraising for monies that the ins. will not pay. 1-800-642-8399
    http://www.transplantfund.org
    They are very kind and helpful.
    I am using them presently

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert