MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

BMT Issue when the donor has had transfusions.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board BMT Issue when the donor has had transfusions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ButchL
    Participant

I have finally had time to reflect on the passing of my wife. It has been 6 weeks and I can talk about it a bit and maybe help someone else along the way.

My wife’s donor was her brother. He had a bad motorcycle accident 1 year prior to donating for her. After the transplant was performed, she got GVHD and it was extreme. The docs spent the first week trying to decide if it was GVHD or an infection. (Her eyes were the first to be attacked. She lost sight 2nd day) Once they realized it was indeed GVHD, the doctor asked me if her brother had any transfusions in the past. The doctor explained that cells have memory and that his cells were used to fighting due to having had the transfusions recently.

My opinion is that the doctors should have asked this question of him prior to donating so that they may have been better prepared. I’m sure somewhere in the fine print it was asked, but it did not come to light until after the GVHD was full blown. They spent 2 months getting that under control in the hospital. I think if they were prepared with that knowledge, they would have had 1 more week of treatment at the beginning for GVHD rather that scratching their heads.

I am not saying it would have saved her, but it may have given her a better chance. She died of a blood clot to the lung and due to the fact she was so weak from everything else, she did not have a chance.

You just have to make sure you think and ask all the questions you can. Research all the possibilities. The doctors work for you, not the other way around. It is your and your loved one’s lives. The only stupid question is the one left unasked.

I hope this helps someone in some way.

Butch

Butch,

I am so sorry for loss of your wife. They probably would not have given her the transplant if they had known that he had a transfusion.

How are her kids doing? I am sure that it is hard for them.

I am 40 and my father passed away in Jan. I still cry just about every day. I don’t know when it will get easier.

Again I am sorry.

Terri

Butch I am also so sorry for your loss and admire your courage to be able to come and share your experiences in helping the rest of us to deal with this dreadful disease.

Thank you
    God Bless

ButchL
    Participant

The kids are doing fine. They are moving out next week to go back to their Dad. That’ll be the next hurdle for me. They will still be close by so we plan on still doing things together.

It’s been a struggle, but I am getting back to my life.

I try and keep from posting here because the outcome for me was not good and I like to only post positive things when I can. I do read the posts here several times a day. Sometimes it is so hard though because I kind of re-live what we went through.

It’ll take time but we will survive.

Be strong, never surrender………..

Lexingtongrn

Thank you for your postings. I’m so sorry you lost your wife.

frank
    Participant

sorry for your lost…

just don’t know how to control on this kind of mistakes. the only thing for us is doing some research on everything we may involve…

Frank

JulieMarie

Butch,

So sorry to hear of your loss, it’s hard to loose a loved one. Stay strong, stay positive, we are all pulling for you.

Lots of love,

Kathryn

Butch, thanks for sharing.

Wishing you peace,

Kathryn

sarah

Butch, thanks for sharing. Stay strong and know that we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Sarah

Donna

Hi Butch,
    It’s so disheartning when we have to worry or ask questions like this after any one looses a loved one. I geuss the one thing that can come of this is, at least, it can hopefully help others.

I’m so sorry for your loss, stay strong.

Donna

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert