MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone Bone Marroe biopsy

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone Bone Marroe biopsy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Viv

I am due for a bone & bone marrow biopsy at the hospital next week. Not sure what to expect , any information would be appreciated

Dennis

Viv,

BMB’s can be uncomfortable, but medication helps. I had one using IV Ativan and Demerol, and from what they tell me, I rather enjoyed it and was very entertaining. Under those conditions (plus I really don’t remember it) I have no problems with them.

I think they call it “consious sedation” or “twilight sleep” or some similar term.

Dennis

Carl

Viv,

I have had several of the BMB’s (some with local anesthetic only and some with general anesthetic) and I can honestly tell you that having them without something to put you out, like Dennis is saying, is out of the question for me. Some people have no problem with a local anesthetic but there is some sharp and sometime intense pain when they “harvest” the bone and bone marrow from your hip.

Suzanne

Viv,They are different for different people and some people are better at doing them then others. I have had something likie 16 BMB’s. Most I did with just the local anesthetic-They numbed the area. For me they were not awful. The pain they talk about is a little like a quick electric shock and after so many my nurse practitioner took pity and started me on the easy way. Now I take 10 mg of ativan (oral) and 10 of Oxy codone about 45 min before they do the test and I sort of float and chatter through-being relaxed helps. I have never had much discomfort afterwards-maybe once or twice I took a tylenol. The premedication makes me sleepy-they don’t want you to drive if you take it and I usually take a long nap-much relieved that the whole thing is over.

Jerry

Viv ….

I sort of subscribe to the theory of why be awake for a potentially painful procedure if you can avoid it. My first two BMB’s were done with first, Versed where I was completely out, the second with IV Ativan where I was also in a goofy funny mood like Dennis and the procedure did not bother me. My last one two weeks ago, they gave me 2 oral Ativans (20 mg) and one Percocet. Even with that, the pain was excruciating for about 20 seconds or so … Debbie says I have never squeezed her hand so hard in 25 years. I also said some words that I had to ask forgiveness for. I will never do it again without being sedated. So, my advice … as many meds as possible to keep the pain down. Once it is over, it is over, but it sure hurts for a bit. Good luck.

Jerry

Terri

Bob is a trooper He has had several of these more then one a year, the first year more then any other. He only gets what ever they spray on the area to numb you and then just curls up in that fetus position. I have heard our doctor (In a group of about 10) is one of the best doing this. He is precise and very quick.
    Bob is sore when we get home and for the next day but he makes me proud. I know I could not go through it.

patti

Terri,

My MIL is like Bob. She just went through hers and said it didn’t hurt much. I have discovered over the past almost two years that this woman has a pain tolerance like no one I’ve ever met.

Viv, if it were me I’d be asking for all the drugs they can provide. You know your pain tolerance better than anyone. If you have a low pain tolerance I’d ask for drugs. If not, you could wing it like some others have.

Patti

Jack_dup1

I was told it varies from person to person, some people feel no pain, for others it is unbearable, I think it has to do with the bone structure. A lot of it also has to do with the person doing it. My first one made me feel like I just came off the torture rack during the inquisition. My next one was at the NIH and although it was pretty painful, it was bearable. I went straight from the hospital, took a tram and walked about 5 miles around the Washington Mall and the Memorials, I have done some dumb things in my life, but that was right up there with my Ex-wife and getting a perm ( it was the 70’s). I’ve had a couple other’s since then and they were painful, next time I going the sedative route.
    Jack

Jim

My first one was painless. The doc used an IV as well a local where he went into my pelvis. I remember saying “ou” during the proceedure and the doc telling the nurse “give him some more” The second one (same doc) didn’t go as well. That day they had trouble getting the IV in which made me up-tight. It ended up being uncomfortable but it went okay.
    JW

Suzanne

I have noticed a pattern that it is often the men who find the process more painful and the women who find it no fun but bearable-Have wondered if there is something different about the hip bone structure between the sexes.

Jerry

Suzanne …

I will concede … you ladies are just more able to bear pain (eg. childbirth), so y’all have the procedure without any meds and please leave them for us wimps. Just funnin’ ya!! But, goodness knows that I will be as sedated as possible next time. However, you might be on to something about the hip structure. That could have a bearing on this issue.

Jerry

patti

Suzanne,

I giggled pretty good when I read your first sentence. My first thought was, “yeah! we have babies.” Seriously though, I think you might be very right about this. Women’s hip bones tend to be wider from bearing children. That may make it easier to do a biopsy. I really don’t think it has much to do with women having a higher pain tolerance. I had three large babies without drugs but I gotta tell you I won’t do anything else without lots of drugs. So, I think your thought on bone structure is more likely. Still, I had a good giggle.

Patti

Patti

franm

Hi all and Good Luck to everyone of you.

My husaband Jim had a BMB today and the Oncologist gave him a pain pill to take prior to having this done.

My question is—How long does it take to get the results? He also had a blood test before the BMB.

He will see the Doc. on the 19th of this month.

Does he have to wait until then to get the results?

Thanks for any information.

Fran

Suzanne

that is about right. It usually takes a week to get the marrow results and another week to get the cytogenetics(sp?)that is pertaining to any chromosome changes.

Engel

Hi, My husband had his second BMB and it hurt a lot he also has fever not too high. We will get the results in a week. Of last he was RARS, but I think it has advanced further, he was originally dx in jan. 2006 he has had 3tx. this year and he is on procrit, with no results. Help anyone. Gloria

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert