MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone Marrow biopsy

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone Marrow biopsy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Victoria Pless
    Participant

I had a bone marrow biopsy over 10 years ago because my white blood cells stay low. It came back, after being sent to a specialized lab, as “genetic mutation”. Finally, the Dr said that I was “normally abnormal” and discharged me from future appointments. I do have Hashimoto’s syndrome (thyroid). Almost 2 years ago, my Dr sent me back to the hematologist because once again, my white cells are low and have been for a long time. The hematologist wants me to come back in the fall for a yearly checkup. He had been having me come every 6 months but the last visit my white cell count was almost too high, very high for me, but I tried to explain I was just getting over an infection and I figured that was why my count was up. He seemed so happy they were up he didn’t really listen. Should I push for more testing? This is the first time I’ve ever heard of MDS. I am 61 years old. Not sure if I should just let it go or pursue further testing. Thanks.

Kathy Stermer
    Participant

If blood tests are indicative of something going on another BMB would most likely be the best way to rule out anything more. Keep an eye on your lab values maybe go back for follow up labs sooner to be sure.

PATRICK CAMMARANO
    Participant

Victoria : If you are going to have BMB . Suggest you send samples to two labs. I am sure your insurance company will approve. Take the time and pick the labs. The samples will be taken at the same time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert