MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone marrow surgery at 65

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone marrow surgery at 65

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sherry luhn
    Participant

Cannot decide if I am up to the surgery!!!!

Jill
    Participant

I know, I can’t decide either! Of course, I feel pretty well. (You do know it’s not surgery, right?) Best wishes!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Jill.
    sherry luhn
    Participant

Yes, I don’t know why I called it surgery. I am high risk mds. I am getting ready for my fourth round of vidaza. I can finally go to work where I stand most of the day at a pharmacy. I said I would never even consider this transplant because of the chemo and radiation. It seems you are almost dead before you get the transplant. Of course at my age, the increase of infections. One family member really is pushing me. Ugh…so hard. how old are you?

rar
    Participant

I was 73 when I had a transplant. That was a year and a half ago. I am doing well. The chemo and radiation with the actual transplant was probably the easiest part of the whole process.

Ray

sherry luhn
    Participant

Ray.

How long were you in the hospital. My husband works lo ng hours and cannot be my support. Did you go straight home from hospital? I thought 65 was too old…. How great for you. Are you totally healed? My scare was the chemo and radiation. What about infections?

rar
    Participant

The good new first. I was in the hospital for the transplant about a week, it seems to vary from a week to a month. From my BMB I am 100% engrafted with donor cells. Platelets had been 70, about 3 months ago they went up to 140 and stayed there. From looking at blood tests the only anomaly is that I have xx instead of xy chromosome. They talk about cure at 3 years. I am half way there. Doctor says the chance of relapse at this point is low single digit. The transplant was sort of a non event. I slept through the whole process. It is just the start of a long journey.

If you don’t want the bad news stop reading here. While the hospital stay was a week I was required to have a 24/7 care give for at least 3 months and to be with in 15 minutes of the hospital. The environment must be sterile to avoid infection as you have almost no immune system after transplant. For the first month I had hospital visits 7 days a week. At 3 months post transplant I came down with CMV, GVHD grade 4, and c.diff. It removed the entire gut lining so I couldn’t eat for my 2 month hospital stay. I went from 170 to 130 pounds and could barely walk. Doctors and nurses thought I would not survive. At 1 year I came down with a different GVHD. 1 month on 120 mg. prednisone along with a dozen other meds cured it, but left me pretty messed up and weak. I am pretty much over it and yesterday I walked 5 miles with no difficulty. If needed I would go through the transplant again.

Ray

rar
    Participant

My story start to finish is under “New to MDS”

Ray

sherry luhn
    Participant

ray……that is why I am not considering BMT. hopefully, VIDAZA WILL keep working.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert