MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Bone marrow transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Bone marrow transplant

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tereze Gluck
    Participant

If insurance will not pay for a BMT, is it possible to pay for it oneself?

rar
    Participant

It depends how deep your pockets are. My SCT with side effects was billed at about 3 million. Insurance covered everything but was paid much less.

Tereze Gluck
    Participant

I am worried I will be told I am not a ‘candidate’ due to prior ovarian cancer. Since I will die without a SCT I am determined to have one and try to find a way to finance. But will the hospital perform it if I can come up with the money?

rar
    Participant

yes

Tereze Gluck
    Participant

Whew! Thanks. I haven’t been turned down yet, but it could come to that..

Tereze Gluck
    Participant

RAR: I was just told by Mt Sinai that I’d they turn me Dow, even if I came up with the money they would not perform the procedure. They have a transplant board that evaluates the case and if they won’t do it, that’s final. So if you DOmknow of a specific center – that caused you to answer ‘yes’ to my earlier question – can you tell me what that center is?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Tereze Gluck.
    Tereze Gluck
    Participant

Today I met with transplant surgeon. I felt like Clarence Darrow Lawyer for the defense… I was advocating for myself, up against a reluctant doctor. He explained that they have a panel which decides these things, and that my case causes some concern. Now, I have advanced high-risk MDS and I will certainly die, and soon, without a transplant. I was literally fighting for my life.

If they turn me down, I will approach other centers. But it took so much out of me, this arguing my case – truly I felt like a lawyer pleading for my clients life – the client, in this case, me. The idea that I will have to do this repeatedly is deeply disheartening. So, if anyone knows of centers that might be more amenable to a borderline candidate, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Many thanks for your help…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Tereze Gluck.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert