MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Cancer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pat Mathews
    Participant

Do “they” consider MDS as a BLOOD CANCER? First time I saw that description.

Erin
    Participant

Yes, on the MDS Foundation website (same website this message board is on) on the main page in the middle at the top, it says, “MDS is a blood cancer.” It rotates between a few statements but that is one of them.

Pat Mathews
    Participant

Thank you! Sometimes this “thing” is so confusing.

stacey
    Participant

From the cancer.org website:
    “Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are conditions that can occur when the blood-forming cells in the bone marrow become abnormal. This leads to low numbers of one or more types of blood cells. MDS is considered a type of cancer.”
    For example, my red blood cells are primarily affected by MDS. My hematology doctor once told me to think of my MDS red blood cells as “large and funny looking”, a description that stuck with me. You can see that in numbers on a CBC (Complete Blood Count) when the red blood cell line is affected. The MCV (Mean Corpuscular Volume, which is the size of the red blood cell) will keep increasing past normal to show the red blood cells growing abnormally bigger and bigger, leading to lower hemoglobin and less oxygen throughout the body. I believe the abnormal growth traits of these blood cells are why they refer to it as a blood cancer.
    -Stacey

dramaticcillow
    Participant

yes it is considered a type of cancer

Kathy Lynch
    Participant

Totally AGREE!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert