MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

cause of mouth sores

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board cause of mouth sores

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    J.claire

Are these mouth sores, mine look like large blood blisters, caused by low whites or low platelets? If a bunch pop up all the sudden, is is because of a change in the counts or something I ate? Seems not to be food because I eat mostly the same stuff. I find them annoying.

jaxem

typically they are usually from low platelet counts. get it checked out!!

covergirl

I don’t have problems with my platelets, but due experience mouth sores on occasion. Sometimes when my rbc is low, sometimes not. I think it is a symptom of those with autoimmune deficincies.

I rinse/gargle with warm salt water. There are some topicals you can purchase to ease the paid.

–cheryl

Cherbear

I’ve been experiencing mouth sores for the last few days. My platelets are very low, around 35,000. I wonder if it could be a symptom of fighting a virus or infection. I also haven’t been feeling very well, in general this week.
    I’m going to try and do the warm salt water because the sorse are painful.

Cheryl

patti

Everyone has a different platelet threshhold for when blood blisters will pop up in their mouths. For mom, she started getting them when her platelets are at 10K. You NEED to get this checked ASAP. Especially if you don’t know what your threshhold is. We got to the point where we knew exactly what mom’s platelet count was just by the size and shape of her mouth sores. Go get a CBC asap.

Patti

J.claire

Thank you for these very helpful responses. I tried the warm salt water and it was really soothing, plus I figured it would be anti-germ too. I didn’t go for a cbc because they told me to only go every 4 months for now. My last one was in march and platelets were 120. Not to be too personal, but I think the mouth sores get worse when my “female cycle” is creating a heavy loss of blood. I know most typical mds folks are past this time of life, so maybe they don’t experience this. Again, thanks so much! You people are wonderful.

patti

J.Claire,

You NEED to get a CBC done. It doesn’t matter if they told you to go four months. If you call and tell them you are getting blood blisters in your mouth (even if they are coming and going – mom’s did that) and you think your platelets might need to be checked they will check you. I would really encourage you to be proactive with this one. It may be worse with your cycle, but it shouldn’t be happening at all so it’s worth finding out where you’re at. Platelets die off at a rate of 10K-15K a day in the average person. If your body is all of a sudden having a hard time producing them it won’t be long before you are very low. Please reconsider getting this checked.

Patti

Kaleen

Hi J,
    My father had these sores. His Dr. placed him on Valtrex and they went away, he has not had any in months. Has anyone else been prescribed this?

cyndi63

You always want to get mouth sores checked out since they are often a symptom of something else.. I found a “mouth foam” that is used to treat mouth sores in oncology patients. It is all natural and offers true relief http://www.cuprident.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert