MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Common Colds in Low and Medium Risk MDS People.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Common Colds in Low and Medium Risk MDS People.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Will Bennet
    Participant

I know the general advice is that MDS patients should do what they can to avoid all viruses but I’m not sure if there is a level of degree where things like the flu are much worse than a common cold like for people without health problems. It is not always that easy to avoid bumping into a common cold even while being careful. Travelling, work, meeting grandchildren, etc.

Can anyone here shed some light, in a general way or from experience, on the common cold? Is it often severe for those suffering from MDS or do they often have mild colds as well? In my partners’ specific case, his levels hover around 10 while taking Luspatercept if that is at all relevant. Historically, he is someone that would get quite high fevers whenever he got sick and that was before MDS.

I realize no one can speak in absolutes, and that is fine, but especially in an age of covid, trying to understand risk management is a challenge we’re forced to take on. Obviously covid prevents a massive risk to an MDS patient, but I don’t know the level of risk for a common cold and would really appreciate hearing what others think or have been through.

Kathleen Till
    Participant

I was having chemo for high MDS and caught a cold. It lasted 2 weeks and I
    Got no Ill affects from it. I even managed to fit my chemo in but not everyday. Had no temperature.

I am now 49 days post Bone Marrow Transplant and doing quite well.

Kathy .

Kathleen Till
    Participant

I was having chemo for high MDS and caught a cold. It lasted 2 weeks and I
    Got no Ill affects from it. I even managed to fit my chemo in but not everyday. Had no temperature.

I am now 49 days post Bone Marrow Transplant and doing quite well.

Kathy .

Will Bennet
    Participant

That’s good to hear about the cold and great to hear about your transplant!

Have you or anyone else here discussed with your doctors how risky a common cold can be for a person with MDS? I’m really just trying to get a sense of just how careful you’re supposed to be. Is it like an MDS patient should be treating a common cold with the vigilance many treat with trying to avoid covid or do doc’s think a cold is not that dangerous?

Mary Roth
    Participant

I have low risk MDS. I had my third Covid shot plus a flu shot on the same day. One and a half weeks later, I cought a cold from grandchildren. First day was sore throat. I ate homemade chicken noodle soup and raw onion sandwich. The second day I had sneezing and runny nose. The third day I was over it!!! I never got rid of a cold that fast in my life!! And, it wasn’t Covid, because I had a neg. test the day before symptoms started (when visiting a nursing home).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert