MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Copper Deficiency

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Copper Deficiency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    J.claire

My oncologist/hematologist’s nurse called today to say that the doctor wants me tested for a copper deficiency. In the Jan 18 issue of the Journal of Hematology it was reported that copper deficiency caused reversable mds. I found this on line: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114075645/ABSTRACT
    and also this: http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pro…ename=91307.pdf
    and if you put “myelodysplastic” and “Copper deficiency” in a google search there are others. ANyone heard this? Any thoughts? Neil???

Zoe

OK, I am going to look at this stuff. Can it cause chromosome abnormalities? Or is this just for folks with normal chromosomes?

Zoe

J.claire

Yes. Some of the people whose mds was reversed had the chrom abnormalities, although the thing I read did not specify which chrom abnormalites. Also, the study also said that this can happen to people who eat a normal amount of copper (my multivitamin has 100%) but for some reason don’t absorb it. Thanks for your reply.

patti

J. Claire,

My MIL’s naturapath had her copper tested for this exact reason. How cool would it be if that’s all that were wrong, huh?! That’s much easier to fix! smile

Patti

chuckk333

Patti. When was your MIL tested for copper? What were the results? Wouldn’t it be great if this is one of the causes.

My last CBC should improvement in both WBC=2.7 and platelets=103. Naturally I am very pleased. Perhaps it is the juicing. BTW I am skiing 3 to 5 days a week and am feeling perfectly normal. yay!!!

chuckk333

I meant “showed” not “should”

patti

Chuck,

I believe she was tested about a year ago. It was right when we started seeing her naturapath which was about that time frame. I do not have the results with me. She has a notebook we keep at her house with all that info. I’ll have to check. I just remember that her copper was normal which meant she was absorbing it just fine.

Fantastic that you are seeing such good results! I am convinced that juicing is one of the best things a person can do when they’re ill. With anything! So glad to hear your continuing to do it while in Colorado. I would love to hear your doctor’s analysis of this! Must be something he’s doing right, right?? That’s what they told us when explaining why mom has lived so long.

Patti

Aleksandra Poland
    Participant

J.claire,

Thank you for this information. It arrived exactly in the right moment to give us a little piece of new hope (who knows, maybe…) – most important, that’s another lab check my Mom can add to her list of the “things to do”, and directly she feels better. The worst thing is to have no alternatives in sight. As long as the new options appear, it’s easier not to think about the progress of the illness.

That’s why this forum helps so much. It inspires and gives these new options, and new again, and when it’s really bad, at least one can write about it…

Thank you once again and that wish you all the best. Aleksandra

J.claire

Dear Aleksandra, I find that having a good sense of humor helps me, and, I’ve gotten some good laughs with this copper thing because, guess what the cure is???? CHOCOLATE!!! It’s really true. They gave the people with the copper deficiency Cocoa Capsules!! smile laugh I love it! Here is the link about it: http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/internalmedicine/45/19/45_1079/_article

and, all the best to you and your mom.

Neil

Have looked thru many files and can not find any reference to copper as it relates to MDS.
    Do not know of any MDS patient that had the disease reversed. Some have been cured with a BMT or SCT. Some have transformed to other diseases and a few were misdiagnosed (with AA).
    Asked my wife to stop at Harry & Davids to pick up some choclate covered blueberries. Can resolve 2 cravings and begin my “choclate covered clinical trial”.

patti

J. Claire,

Check that chocolate! Most times it’s dark chocolate that is required. Doesn’t really matter to me. Dark chocolate is as good as the others! smile

Neil, mom’s ND also read a number of studies to us (there were 2 or 3) where a couple of diagnosed MDS patients had a copper deficiency and when they resolved the copper deficiency the MDS resolved. I think it’s generally a long shot but because the possibility does exist it’s worth a cheap lab test to check.

Patti

J.claire

This link is for the Jan 18 issue of the Journal of Hematology. The study is titled: “Copper Deficiency Causes Reversable Myelodysplasia” http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114075645/ABSTRACT
    Although, like Patty says, it’s a long shot. I’m going to try those chocolate covered blueberries, though…YUM!!!

shirlsgirl

Hey Neil, Great idea!! I’m sure mom will be following in your footsteps. I just know that she would love to partake in the “chocolate covered clinical trial” laugh

Jody

Aleksandra Poland
    Participant

Hey, since my own blood results lie far below the standards (typical for the pregnancy, but RBC at 3,31 made my doctor quite nervous), I decided to join the “chocolate covered clinical trial”. I will rather analyse dark haselnut one though smile We don’t get chocolate blueberries here. And no peanutbutter M&M’s as well, but this is a topic for another study.

What would I do without you…

Alice S
    Participant

Wow, perhaps this will be the year for a cure! Have passed this on to my mother. So with Asheleys (ButchLs stepdaughter) Alcohol therapy for low platelets and now chocolates for copper deficiencey, life just got better!
    Thanks to all of you, Patti, Neil, ……..
    Aleksandra you are right, what would we do without our little family here on the forum!
    Keep on writing and keep on fighting!
    Hugs, Alice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert