MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Cord blood transplants?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Cord blood transplants?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SimonChai

Has anyone on this list had a cord-blood transplant? I’m scheduled to have one at Fred Hutch in a few weeks and would love to talk with anyone on this list who has had one. Thanks everyone!

Best,
    Simon Chaitowitz
    MDS patient-diagnosed in Sept. 05.

DennisR

I was diagnosed with MDS in May of 2004. I had a cord blood transplant in September, 2004 at the University of MN. For this transplant they did the “mini-prep” which included a reduced amount of chemo and radiation (my age is 59, so they said that I could not handle the regular full dose).

For the transplant, they used two cord bloods. A single cord blood does not have enough volume (stem cells) for an adult. It took only a couple of days to find two cord blood units that matched me.

The transplant was straight-forward, with no real surprises. I had very few negative side affects. The first six months were great…no negative side affects, and my counts were all doing fine. But then things started to go wrong.

Unfortunately, my MDS re-occured about 9 months after my transplant. I thought everything was going well…. Then I had a bone marrow biopsy and it showed that MDS returned.

I had a second transplant in September of this year. For this transplant, they used the same mini-prep but added the Natural Killer Cells and Stem Cells from my son. Within a month, MDS had re-occured.

Now, I am going to Hutch to see what they have to say. I understand that they have over 20 MDS clinical trials going on…perhaps they have one that is appropriate for me.

Do you have specific questions reqarding the umbillical cord transplant?

Dennis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert