MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

covid vaccine and MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board covid vaccine and MDS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert Gracey
    Participant

I was diagnosed over 6 years ago. CBC remained fairly constant. I received 2 covid vaccines, 1st in Feb and 2d in Apr 2021. In August of this year, my CBC dropped to record lows. Now I require transfusions and arenesp nearly every 21 days. Also have unbelievable blood blisters inside my cheeks and on my tongue. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Mar
    Participant

I got my Pfizer booster on 8/24/2021. Regular blood draw on 9/20 showed nucleated RBC at 114. Was referred to hematologist. DX is MDS. I see doctor this Wednesday to go over gene testing, pathology report and DNA. Can’t help to wonder if there is a correlation.

Mary Roth
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MDS (bone marrow biopsy) in April 2020. Doctors had suspected it for awhile, but, I didn’t consent to be tested, at first. Anyway, I had Pfizer in Feb. and April, and it didn’t change my every 3 month blood draws. I got my booster in Oct. shortly after a blood draw, so don’t get next draw till Jan.

Mary Roth
    Participant

I don’t know how to edit after I post. But, I meant to say I was diagnosed in April 2021.

Jack Rynecki
    Participant

Jan 2017 i was diagnosed Low Grade MDS after a bone marrow biopsy. Have had CBCs every 3 months since. RBCs, WBCs and pltls low but not requiring treatment and no symptoms.
    Vaccinated Jan and March 2021 with Pfizer and booster in Oct.
    Small drop in WBC in my latest (Nov ) CBC, otherwise nothing.

Mar
    Participant

I wrote to CDC….THIS IS WHAT I GOT BACK

Thank you for contacting CDC. I’m sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome.

At this time, data does not indicate a causal association between COVID-19 vaccines and Myelodysplastic Syndrome.

To address your questions further, we searched data from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). VAERS is a national vaccine safety monitoring system managed by CDC and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS accepts reports of possible side effects (also called “adverse events”) following vaccination. The system is not designed to determine whether a reported adverse event was caused by the vaccine, but serves as an early warning system and helps CDC and FDA identify areas for further study.

As of December 7, 2021, VAERS has received 688,565 reports for all adverse events for the COVID-19 vaccine. Of those 21 (0.003%) are reports of Myelodysplastic Syndromes after receiving the COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine. Three of the 21 patients had a prior history of myelodysplastic syndrome.

As of December 7, 2021, more than 473 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in the United States.

cassie laliberte
    Participant

CDC won’t admit Covid 19 association with anything because they are backing the jab which is gene therapy with longterm unknown side effects. I am Legal Guardian to a family member who contracted MDS five months after receiving the second Moderna jab…….I believe it is the ’cause’ of MDS in this person.
    Has no history of this syndrome and out of no where ends up with MDS. Now he has developed pleural effusion and has been hospitalized since Jan 2, 22. Pulmonary and Thoracic doctors are baffled by this and are trying desperately to control it. Tired of what ‘ISN”T KNOWN’ about MDS and the lack of knowledge of this condition.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert