MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

DACOGEN MY SAVIOR

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board DACOGEN MY SAVIOR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SRMaven

Hello All, (& thank you June for reminding me I should make this post)
    Just wanted to let all know that Dacogen (Decitibine) has been my savior. After getting to the point of needing rbc t-fusions every 2-3 wks, I found the FDA approval of Dacogen (5/06) & did the 4 Series b/t 6/19-9/29/06.
    My counts are up & have been holding! IE: I am now (5/1/07) treatment free !! Yippee laugh ! and recommend Dacogen as a great treatment. Good Luck 2 All. SRMaven

choijk

Stephen,

It is so exciting to hear that another MDS patient is doing so well! I wish you continued success with Dacogen! Hope to hear from you soon!

shellbivens
    Participant

Stephen,

I am glad to hear some good news! Would you mind posting additional info regarding your Dacogen treatment? I am interested in knowing about side effects in particular. Thanks!

Shellena

jaxem

stephen
    really great to hear your good news. my wife is starting her 3rd round of dacogen on 5/7 & we have our fingers crossed.

Carl

Stephen,

Glad to hear someone is doing so well on Dacogen. Unfortunately it did not work for me and in fact I got worse by transforming from RA to RAEB II, skipping RAEB I.

jonelle

Stephen, I am so happy for you!!
    My husband, Jack, has completed his 3rd round of dacogen, he is doing much better. But the Dr. recommends another 3 rounds.
    Jack doesn’t want to do it simply because the Dr. isn’t able to convince him that it is necessary. Jack wants to wait a bit. Can anyone suggest a reason why it has to be done again so quickly?
    Thank you!

jaxem

jonelle
    Pharma has stated that dacogen be given for 4 cycles but it is up to the hematologist. get a good reason from the doc why 6 is required. unfortunately, the only way to see what’s going on is to do a bmb. the results should make the answer clear.

jaxem

carl
    sorry to hear about your bad experience w/ dacogen. did you go through at least 4 rounds?

Kathy7964

Dacogen has been our savior too. That is such good news. My Dad had one round of Dacogen and ended up in the hospital for almost three months. After he got out he need tx almost 2 times a week for a couple months but now he hasn’t had to have a tx for FOUR months and his counts have been holding up. His doctor told us he should have more than one round but because he got so sick we are just going to wait and see. We are so fortunate that he is hanging in there.

Carl

jaxem,

As my signature profile says I went through 7 rounds of Dacogen.

jaxem

carl
    sorry i missed reading your profile. where are your thoughts about where you go from here?

Carl

Jack,

Right now I am just getting transfusions and Aranesp shots. I have tried all the approved meds. except Vidaza and it is similar to Dacogen. Perhaps the researchers will come up with something new and I’ll give it a try.
    I’m not a fan of medical trials so I have pretty much ruled those out too.

JaniceR

Carl:
    Carl:
    I was just on the board reading old posts. I saw your post that dacogen did not help you. My father was on dacogen from May 06 to Jan. 07. When he got the BMB back in Jan. 07 they told him that it didn’t reduce his blasts at all and they had to look into other options. I think his blasts actually increased because when I looked at the report it said 80% blasts. We took him for a second opinion with Dr. Goldberg in Hackensack, NJ, who was kind of doom and gloom and told him he’s very lucky he’s still alive (RAEB-T – Jan. 06). He suggested Dacogen (since he tolerated it well and had no side effects) and adding Valproic Acid to it (a pill people take for epilepsy)…keeps the dacogen in your system longer, giving it more of a chance to work. Dr. Goldberg gave all this information to our doctor in Morristown. Dad’s been on it for three rounds and his bone marrow biopsy just came back with 12% blasts. Our doctor is thrilled at the results. I just thought this information might be of use to you. And, by the way, I don’t believe that this is a clinical trial. My dad didn’t sign up for a trial. The one doctor just suggested it to the other and ordered it.

jaxem

fortunately my wife’s last bmb performed a week ago showed improvement from 5 to 2% blasts after 3 rounds dacogen. unfortunately, dacogen doesn’t work for everybody which must be heartbreaking.

Saritha

Hi
    Read all the reviews of Dacogen….
    My dad is on only transfusions without any medication…diagonised as MDS 10% blast aug 2006…
    We are from India and doctors here have just no idea on Dacogen how it works and the results…
    Is it recommended in such a scenario to go ahead with the medicine if we can procure it or just remain transfuion dependant….He is just 58 years old with monthly transfusions and low platelet count.
    Thanx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert