MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dacogen or Vidaza

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dacogen or Vidaza

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mary4Mike
    Participant

Zeke,

Did your dad begin his Dacogen on Monday? Did the doctor explain that usually about 10 to 14 days after the treatment the patient experiences a drop in their blood counts? It could be quite a severe drop where fever develops and he would have to enter the hospital. My husband began his third round of Dacogen on Monday. He had to be hospitalized after each of the previous cycles because he ran a fever of 103. He was in for 3 days both times. Others on Dacogen experience the drop, but don’t have a fever. Everyone reacts differently. That is one of the main things you learn here…..one size doesn’t fit all.

Take care and keep posting.

Zeke

Yes, he has now had 1 round of dacogen. The doctor has really not explained much, but I have read that the patient drops blood count after about 14 days. My dad has had fevers and has been hospitalized.

He had an EGD (gastro internal doctor) and had some ulcers stapled. He is taking some medication protonix for the ulcers. However, he has started internal bleeding again and the doctors are having a difficult time figuring out where the bleeding is. He is needing blood transfusions and platelets.

Any experiences from others on the internal bleeding???

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Zeke,

My husband is in the hospital now with pneumonia. His HGB rose only 1 point after 3 units of PRBC. They are looking into internal bleeding now. Please keep me posted as to what they find out with your dad and will let you know also.

My husband completed round 3 of Dacogen on Feb 22. He has been hospitalized approximately 10 to 14 days after treatment each round because of fevers and riggors.

Keep in touch,

poppyshope

Check the liver if there is anything going on there… I was told dacogen is processed through the liver and can put a toll on it. It is also an organ that bleeds a lot was what i was told as well. Also, many times intestinal bacteria -VRE- can plant there making an infection site, this is what I remember but I am in no way a doctor.-jen

jaxem

zeke
    getting vidaza or dacogen will lower cell counts. that’s why it is critical to get cbc blood checks twice weekly with accompanying blood products and neupogen shots to bolster the compromised blood. I’m convinced that you are looking for trouble when the neutophil counts gets below 0.5.

poppyshope
    never heard of dacogen being “processed” by the liver, however, I will do a little research and get back about that. I would expect that a lot of organs are impacted by lower red & white cell counts such as the liver, heart, kidneys, GI tract, spleen, etc.

poppyshope

Jack- I meant that the liver filters the chemo and takes a hit…after induction chemo my dad had actual lesions on his liver from the process. As for the VRE that happens many times – the normal bacteria in our bodies actually becomes dangerous to those with low immunity, like when the blood counts are supressed by chemo. That also happened to my dad, and that combo was what they think led to his liver bleeding out or infection taking over his body. I hope this explains it better. Jen

jaxem

poppy
    i did the research & also asked my wife’s hematologist who also went through his notes. there is no data showing that dacogen does any damage to the liver. yes it is processed by the liver but no “known” cases of liver damage.

Zeke

My father passed away last Saturday afternoon on March 22nd. I appreciate all the help that I received. Thanks for the prayers that were received. Funeral is on Thursday morning.

Zeke

Jo L.

Zeke

I am so sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing. You and your family are in my thoughts during this difficult time.

Jo

jaxem

zeke
    sorry about your dad. from your posts, i know he went through a lot.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Zeke,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time of loss. Your father was blessed to have you as a son and a health advocate.

Take care of yourself,

choijk

Zeke,
    I just read your post. I am very sorry for your loss. PLease accept my deepest condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

eve

dear zeke

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult time

eve

maueenh
    Participant

Zeke,

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Maureen

poppyshope

Zeke, I was on to check on how you and dad were doing and saw the horrible news. I am so sorry for your loss and will pray for you and that your good memories will help you to come out the other side of the horrendous grief. I am not too far ahead of you on this road and know how tough it is- let us know if you need to talk/email. God bless you, Jen

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert