MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

dad moving to hospice tomorrow

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board dad moving to hospice tomorrow

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    karenkay

Wed. (tomorrow) they are moving my dad from the hospital to the extended care unit as a hospice patient. On one hand, my prayers have been answered and I am greatly relieved that he will be somewhere safe and comfortable. On the other hand, I am scared because I realize this is the next big step.
    Kathy, his dear friend is coming late Thursday night and we are all going to celebrate Christmas at the ECU with him on the 23rd. I bought him new stuff and Kathy brought presents too. My kids are coming and will play music (they both play piano and they have one there and my oldest also plays violin). We will eat pumpkin pie and have sugar free chocolate and enjoy eachothers company!!
    Then, I am going to stay home for the 24-25. That will be the first time in over a month that I haven’t driven the 50-60 miles each way to visit for 2 days in a row. Kathy will be over there for those days and I KNOW he will enjoy that, so I have no worries!! Of course, if he takes a definate turn for the worse, I will come up, but let’s pray he just has a good time and enjoys life.
    I am looking forward to Christmas, come what may, because Kathy is coming, my dad is safe and has a good place to be where he will be looked after and cared for, and where I can come visit 24 hours a day, anytime.
    I am reminded daily that through this nightmare, there are so many things to be grateful for. Sometimes, it’s hard to see the blessings, but we have received many; one of them, is the care, compassion, and strength that I receive on this forum. Thank you and Merry Christmas!!
    God bless,
    karenk

sugarwhale

Dear KarenK,
    Merry Christmas to you and your family too. I know exactly how you feel about this Forum. There are wonderful people here. I used to be in a chatroom, but I left it because the people were so obnoxious. This Forum is different. We all help each other. Who could have ever asked for a more wonderful gift this Christmas! So, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Channukah Tovah, Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays to Everyone!
    Your friend,
    Janet

CarolineG

Karen,

It is good to hear you feeling so much at peace with your situation. It has been a long, bumpy road for all of us. I wish you, your Dad, your family, and your friend Kathy a very peaceful holiday season. You are doing a great job getting through all of this and you have been a tremendous help to your Dad.

Blessings,
    Caroline

Carrie

Karen,

Yes, this transition is very tough. I wasn’t there when dad moved from the hospital to hospice but my sister was. She cried as they called and loaded him into the ambulance because of what it meant.

Seeing him there for the first time was so difficult for me. But it was the best place for him and they were so kind and gentle with him.

I hope you have the same experience we had because it was so peaceful.

I wish you joy and peace for Christmas.

By the way, is he still getting transfusions?

Love,
    Carrie

diner

Karen, I feel for you and your family and your dads friend. Sometimes we feel like we’ve been drug through the wringer but we keep going. Your dad is lucky to have you and those that love him.
    I lost my daddy (I was a daddy’s girl) a couple of years ago and he suffered so much and wanted to go. We had so many nights of thinking this would be it but it was when we least expected it and he went so peacefully and me and my brother was there. This is what he wanted. Hospice had come into their home and they were absolutely wonderful and so compassionate.
    I will pray for your dad, you and his friend and your family. I know it takes a strong person to go through all of this. Take care, Dee

Jimbob

Karen,
    I am sorry to hear that your father has to take this next step but heartened to hear that his friend will be with him at this time. You are not abandoning hime but giving him a break, too. I hope you and your family will be able to relax a bit and have a good Christmas.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert