MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad out of hospital…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad out of hospital…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    karenkay

I am so blessed that the rehab facility took him back. He is slipping with the dementia and I didn’t know how they would be about having him, but it was no trouble.
    His friend, Kathy, is flying in tonite and he was so giddy about it tonite (Thurs) when we went by there.
    To tell you all the truth, my dad has almost been a different man since going to the hosp. and getting on these antibiotics. He was actually making conversation with the staff at the hosp. and cracking jokes. I actually saw him down right smile a few times.
    His mouth also feels better since we went to the dentist and they said he was eating at rehab.
    I am just enjoying the ride of his new found personality, but it is a little scary, I am like, “Who are you and what have you done with my father??” wink
    Any way, it is nice to see. Tonight when we went by, he didn’t want us to stay during dinner because he has a “all guy” table that he sits at and we were crashing his party. I am thrilled he has any desire at all to be social.
    His doctor recently (about a 1.2 months) switched my dad’s antidepressant, maybe that helps???
    Anyway, I am looking into the essiac tea. I found it at the health food store, both in powder and liquid form. I wrote down the ingrediants and have to look them up to make sure they won’t bother him with his other conditions, but if all is ok, I will buy it.
    Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. It is something I look forward to everyday. Just knowing there are people out there who understand and care can be so uplifting.
    God bless us all,
    karenk

sugarwhale

Dear Karen,
    Oh, what happy news! I’m so happy for you and for your dad! We are still trying to figure out the right “dosage” and brand of the Essiac Tea. We are very confused about it. We think maybe my mom isn’t taking enough; she really felt lousy today (although there was a great deal of stress which had nothing to do with MDS). We will see if our doctor has any ideas tomorrow. In any case, from everything I have read, it DOES help, often very significantly.
    Your upbeat letter made me happy, Karen. It was the nicest thing that happened to me today.
    Your friend,
    Janet

patti

Karen,

I’m so glad things are going much better! I am glad you found this forum also. It is such a help to have people you can talk to, cry with, rant and rave about yucky doctors, etc. You’re in a good spot for support.

Keep on, keeping on.

Patti

CarolineG

Hi Karen,

I am thrilled to hear that your Dad is doing better. It sounds like the new antidepressants may be helping. It takes a few weeks to notice a difference with some drugs. Regardless, it is great to hear of his improvement.

Like I said a few days ago, This is like a daily roller coaster, isn’t it? One day you think that things cannot get worse and the next day you check in on them and wonder how in the world they improved so much so quickly. I had Dad to his Oncologist 2 days ago. The Doctor was absolutely amazed that a 79 year old man who was so close to death only one week ago could have such drastic improvements in his blood levels. I found that odd of him to say because he still has CMML and he is still in Chronic Renal Failure and he still has Anemia and can’t walk more than a few steps without getting dizzy and falling down. But as the Doctor explained, none of the Kidney Doctors nor the Oncologist expected Dad to leave the hospital alive and here he was sitting in his office dressed and coherent. I suppose when you look at it that way, we had a miracle. When you see a person everyday you don’t notice the improvements or declines that someone else would see who only sees them every few weeks.

More prayers for continued improvement, Karen.

Blessings,
    Caroline

Wow. Did these posts ever buck me up! You;re right…. it ain’t over till its over. I hope this tide of good news is catching!
    M

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert