MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad's post surgery update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad's post surgery update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn

Well, as I said, I am cautiously optimistic… Didn’t want anyone to stop prayer and sending positive thoughts my dad’s way. I knew it was going to be hard, but not this hard.

The day after his surgery was okay. He was talking and doing well. They were going to move him into intermediate care, but there were no beds open… Apparently it was for the best. Yesterday things took a turn and he was in so much pain…The morphine made him loopy and didn’t seem to be helping the pain; he was miserable. He had a constant grimace on his face and spoke very little. This morning my step.mom was very scared and called us to come to the hospital. His heart and his lungs are giving him trouble. They took him off of the morphine because they thought it might be part of the problem and put him on a different med.. His misery continued throughout the day….Hopefully things will beging to settle down for him and he can begin to heal. If his condition improves he will probably move to intermediate care tomorrow.

I will keep you posted and hopefully will be able to tell you all how well things are going again.

As always, you all are in my thoughts & prayers.

Kathryn

Carrie

Kathryn,

I hope your dad is doing better. If you want to talk, you can call me. I’ll send you a private message.

Carrie

Terri

Continued prayers and I hope things start coming around. Bless you all

PAG2005

Kathryn,

I’m sorry your dad is in pain. I hope he is feeling better. He is in my prayers. Pat

Kathryn

Hey, well I’m writing you all from the critical care waiting room. frown My dad’s condition has worsened and he needs your prayers. Apparently something happened between Thursday & Friday and he just hasn’t been able to come out of it… His heart is only working @ 15% – 20% and his lungs were failing him, so they sedated him to help his body settle down and put him on a ventilator. His prognosis doesn’t look too good…. I don’t want to lose him, but I don’t want him to suffer… It is so heart breaking.

Carrie, I got your number and I will definitely call you. Thank you so much. I hope you are having a wonderful mini-vacation and that your dad’s situation is looking up.

Anyway, I am thinking of you all and sending you my best wishes & hugs…. Hugs are especially good in times like these….

I’ll keep you all posted.

Kathryn

gemloyear

Kathryn, I’m so sorry that your Dad’s condition has worsened. He has my prayers, my thoughts are with you and your family.
    Ellie

shirlsgirl

I’m so sorry Kathryn. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Take care,

((hugs))
    Jody

riley

Kathryn,

I’m very sorry to hear this. Your father, you and all your family are in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Nicole

Carrie

Kathryn,

I’m so sorry about your dad. I’ll be praying for you all.

I’ll update on my dad when I find out more later. He’s scaring me but not as much as your dad.

HUGS,
    Carrie

Kathryn

Hey you all… Boy do I appreciate your support & encouragement…. Your thoughts & prayers are obviously being heard…

My dad is the amazing Miracle Man… his will is obviously much stronger than what ails him!!! His condition has progressed for the past couple of days and they have begun weaning him off of the sedative & the ventilator. Tomorrow might be the “big” day when he comes off of everything… I must admit, I am a little nervous about that…He had gone into respiratory distress and it put his heart into overload. The doctors & the respiratory therapist are all surprised… I beleive we came way too close to losing him….Everything has since settled down, his heart has gone into a regular rhythm and his lungs look better than they did a couple of days ago. There is no predicting what tomorrow will bring. I know that he is not out of the woods yet, however we remain optimistic, but cautiously so. He is still in ICU and will be for at least a couple more days…

I will continue to keep you posted.

Best wishes to you all,

Kathryn

riley

What great news about your father’s progress! He’s a fighter!

I hope everything will go perfectly tomorrow — don’t you love it when the doctors are amazed? smile

My prayers for you and your father will continue. Please keep us posted as you’re able to.

More hugs,
    Nicole

Carrie

Kathryn,

I’m so glad that he’s doing better than you imagined smile . I hope he keeps hanging in there…

Carrie

Suzanne

I will keep my fingers crossed!

Terri

glad to hear some better news, will continue the prayers.

Carrie

Kathryn,

It was so nice to talk to you last night. Thank you for calling.

I am thinking about your dad this morning. I pray things go well.

Carrie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert