MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dad's post surgery update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Dad's post surgery update

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kathryn

Hey…well my dad’s sedative was discontinued at 5 am today. He’s still sleeping…It could take a few days before he fully wakes up. And he could be on the ventilator for a while…..It is rather unsettling not knowing what to expect… Just take it one moment at a time. They really can’t tell us anything right now.. they just don’t know….

As far as supportive care goes, does it include meds. like Trisenox, or is it when there are no other medicinal options and the patient can only receive transfusions? He is receiving transfusions every other day or so, but he had to stop his Trisenox treatment… I will be surprised if he will resume taking it… seems like it would be risky after his surgery…. Once we get through all this I think that the pineapple juicing & seeds will be something we should definitely looking into.

Hope you all are having a peaceful evening…

Kat.

patti

Hi Kathryn,

Haven’t written but I’ve been following your updates on your dad and praying. Usually supportive care just means transfusions but not meds. Supportive care might be something different to different docs but that’s what my doc said it is.

Keeping you and your dad in our thoughts.

patti

Carrie

*Hugs* Kathryn. I hope that he wakes up soon.

Carrie

KATHY1

Kathryn ,
    Continued prayers! Hope it turns out well.

Kathy

Carrie

Kathryn,

Thanks for the call last night. I hope things are going better for your dad.

I’m thinking of you this morning.
    Carrie

Kathryn

Hey… well yesterday was our most intense day yet… We just about lost him, but he fought his way back. Today he opened his eyes and when I was telling him goodbye for the evening he tried to turn toward me. Happy scared feelings… not really sure how to feel. They are letting him rest over the weekend…keeping him lightly sedated and calm…and then on Monday they will start again trying to get him going. Until yesterday he had been breathing on his own w/ very minimal assistance from the ventilator… now the ventilator is doing most of the work, but they will begin to reduce it again sometime…. I suppose when they are sure that his heart can handle it. He is also running a fever and they aren’t sure why. He’s definitely keeping them on their toes!

By the way, I ordered my wrist bands today! They said they had plenty in stock. “Bravery” is putting is lightly!!!

Well, I just wanted to let you all know where we were at in this… As always, you all are in my prayers….at the top of my list w/ my dad.

Take good care,

Kathryn

Lolam

We will be adding your dad to our prayers. God can make a way where there is no way. Trust Him to be there for the both of you.
    Hugs, Lola

Ensnee

Kathryn I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. I hope you all get through the weekend okay. Sending many positive thoughts and
    many hugs,

Esme

riley

Hi Kathryn,

How are things going today? I’m thinking of you and your dad and praying that everything is progressing well.

Nicole

Kathryn

Hey, I’ve been holding off on posting because my father isn’t doing too well and I hate to keep posting sad news… Thank you all so much for thinking of us.

He has developed pneumonia and the doctors started a new antibiotic last night. He is still fighting though and has been aware enough to know that we are there cheering him on. As Lola so beautifully said “God can make a way where this is no way.”

Wishing you all the best,

Kathryn

Suzanne

Kathryn, We need the bad news as well as the good. Otherwise our expectations of what might happen would be unrealistic and we would not know what to watch for and could not respond with support that might help. I hope for good things for your Dad.

frank
    Participant

Kathryn,

be your dad’s side, we all pray for you… it is difficult to get through yourself especially your love one in danger. your dad have to fight for himself, upon to that you cannot do anything right, just make sure he get enough rest, especially in hospital, make sure the nurse make less noice during night, maybe you have to be stay there for sure one day, but from my experience, a good sleep may change everything…

hope things turn arround soon…

Frank

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert