MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Decitibine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Decitibine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kathy Brown
    Participant

I’ve been on this forum since my husband was diagnosed with high grade MDS with 2 gene mutation on May 12,2020. I don’t see anyone ever mention that they, their spouse or loved one is on Decitibine. If anyone else who is on Decitibine for their chemotherapy drug, are you having any side effects and if so, what? I’d also like to know if anyone else who has MDS has joint and spine pain or headaches?

Rita Knopick
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

My husband was on Decitibine for 2 1/2 years. Another name for Decitibine is Dacogen. He received the drug IV for 5 days a week every month. He never had any side effects from the drug. Unfortunately he transitioned to AML in June 2020 and lost his battle with the disease. Sending prayers for you and your husband in this journey.

Kathy Brown
    Participant

Rita, thank you for responding and sharing about your husband. My husband was given 12-18 months to live when diagnosed in May 2020. We’re now 8 months into this and he hasn’t had a blood transfusion since July 2020 and are told by his Oncologist that he’s currently “holding his own”. I don’t know what that means other than he’s not going “downhill” yet. He was told he would eventually have AML. I do see that high grade MDS has a median lifespan of 2.2 years. The thing that concerns me is the fact that he sleep most of the day and all night and has extreme fatigue and weakness. He also have severe headaches and severe joint pain and spine pain. He is 69 and walks and shuffles along due to weakness, fatigue and pain, when he walks, like a 90 year old man. I was just wondering if anyone else on Decitibine(Dacogen) with high grade MDS and also 2 gene mutations has any of my husbands symptoms and being told they’re holding their own. This is so stressful and hard to watch.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert