MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Dee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    patti

Hi Dee,

Twice yesterday I responded to your post and both times my answer went into oblivian when I tried posting it. The second time it said, “topic not available.” Now this morning that topic is gone altogether! Don’t know what’s going on but I’ll answer you in a separate mail!

I’d forgotten about Tuality Hosp. I have lots of friends that go there and they love it. At least they love the maternity ward. So if you ever need a maternity ward I can definately recommend that place! wink

I laughed when you said you come to Walmart sometimes. That’s the ONLY reason people come to this side of the hill. smile I don’t get there too much but if they had a food dept. I’d be love to go their. Cheap, cheap for five mouths to feed!

I hope the l-lysine or anti-fungal will help your mouth sores. That is so painful. Have you tried Kanka or Ambesol just for the pain? Maybe while you’re eating and trying to go to sleep? I know they won’t heal it but maybe they’d give you enough numbness to get through sometimes. It’d probably be like painting your whole mouth with the stuff but it won’t hurt you. Okay, you wouldn’t want to get it down your throat but I think you know what I mean.

Mom is holding her own. Thanks for asking. Just a short while ago the doctor was telling us that mom is at the end and here she still is. I guess that’s the danger of a doctor making a prognosis. So far, both times, they’ve been wrong. And she’s still puttering around her house, still taking care of her daughter and still enjoying life.

We did get some good news yesterday! Mom can start giving herself neupogen shots at home twice a week. That will eliminate two trips a week into Portland. We will only go in once a month for CBC’s and a blood transfusion. That is such a tremendous relief to me! I’m looking forward to being able to put the kids on 4 full days a week of school now instead of 3 1/2. Daddy’s been teaching on the days I’m gone and they’ve been doing a modified schedule on that day but it lengthens our school year by doing that. I’m hoping we’ll actually get done by June now and maybe we’ll even get to take a spring break this year! I haven’t been taking any vacation or holiday breaks because of trying to keep my schedule up. These shots at home are a tremendous relief to my MIL but they are a HUGE relief to me. It’s funny how one stupid little shot can create so much havic. So that was our good news yesterday. smile

Have a good week. I’m off to start my school day. I think I hear kids running between rooms giggling which means no one is dressed and ready yet!! eek

Patti

diner

Hi Patti, I know just what you mean about losing things you’ve typed. I don’t have the prob. on my desktop, only the laptop.
    I appreciate all the ideas for my poor tongue. I can at least talk today and am taking some kind of fungal medicine. I had to have another unit of platelets. I had petechaie all over. They were only 3000.
    Jules told me his VIDAZA started working after 4 cycles, which I just finished. Soooo
    I’m waiting for something good to happen.
    We also have friends in St. Helens which is why we go sometimes.
    This laptop keeps putting letters somewhere else.
    I’m glad you don’t have to make the trip to Portland so much now.

Do you home school. My grandkids go to a private school but the 8th grader is her last year. She wants to be home schooled but I don’t know what they will do. Dee

patti

Hi Dee,

I’m glad you can talk today! Sorry your counts are so low. I will be very anxious to hear how the vidaza works for you. My MIL has been struggling with that decision for so many months. Please keep us posted!

I do homeschool. My oldest is in 2nd grade and my second is in kindergarten. I have a third that will be starting kindergarten next year. It’s a lot of work but well worth the effort. We are christians and do not believe in public education but my sister (who is not a christian) decided to homeschool her son when he was going to start the 9th grade. Although she works full time at Intel she had it worked out to school him at night and then he would do his work during the day at the home of another homeschool family so he’d have supervision. As a family, we love the flexibility. I suppose with mom sick it’s also been a help because I can tailor their schedule to mine when it’s needed. It takes lots of commitment. But we’re seeing the benefits already. We also do some “school” teaching with our business. We let the kids help us pack products so they count and add and double check everything for us. It’s fun and they like to earn the extra change. I guess when you homeschool, everything you do is school. From the kitchen to the shop to the sewing machine to the school books.

Well, I could go on and on. If you’re grandkids homeschool they won’t regret it. So many resources out there for it.

Please keep us posted on how your counts do and also if the vidaza gives you good results. You’ve already been through so much! Take care.

Patti

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert