MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

diahreea

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gayle D

my husband has had ongoing diahreea with the Vidaza txs. — he has used Imodium to help control this, however I was wondering if anyone had used anything else to help with this side effect?

shirlsgirl

Hi Gayle,

Here are some treatments for diarrhea:

BISMUTH

Bismuth subsalicylates (such as those found in Pepto-Bismol) are one of the safest ways to treat the symptoms of diarrhea. Treatments containing bismuth will help control cramping, pain, loose stools, gastrointestinal toxins, and abdominal contractions. Take as directed. Bismuth is safe for both children and adults.

KAOPECTATE

Kaopectate is a suspension formula made from an absorbent clay. This medication works by absorbing and binding the irritation in the intestines.

LOPERAMIDE

Loperamide is found in many over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medicines, including Imodium, Kaopectate II, Maalox Anti-Diarrheal, and Pepe Diarrhea Control. Loperamide works by slowing down the movements of the intestines.

CALCIUM POLYCARBOPHIL

Calcium polycarbophil has been put to the test recently as a new method of treating diarrhea and its symptoms. Best used by those suffering acute diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome, calcium polycarbophil works by equalizing the water balance of the intestines.

ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS

BERRIES

The leaves and fruit of blueberries and bilberries will help to naturally stop diarrhea. Consuming small amounts of commercial fruit syrups and jellies is an easy way to add the benefits of berries to your diet. (Do not eat the seeds of berries, which will only make diarrhea worse.)

CHAMOMILE

Chamomile works well with adults suffering from mild to moderate diarrhea. Chamomile is a natural pain reliever which will help to rid your body of cramps and inflammation. Chamomile is available in tea, capsule, and liquid form.

ROOT BARK

Perhaps the strongest diarrhea treatment is found in the root bark of the blackberry plant. Years ago, a blackberry elixir was carried as a miracle cure for diarrhea. Blackberry root bark is available in tincture form at any major health food store. Take 1 teaspoon of mixture in water every 2-4 hours.

VINEGAR

Your grandmother used it years ago and many still swear by the vinegar cure. Take 1-tablespoon vinegar each hour or until diarrhea subsides.

PECTIN

The pectin found in apples is an age-old cure for diarrhea. Pectin can be purchased in capsule form, or found in applesauce.

GREEN BANANAS

Green bananas work to decrease intestinal porousness, making this Old Wives Tale a real winner when it comes to treating chronic diarrhea in children and adults. Eat 1 green banana every 2-4 hours or until symptoms subside.

CAROB

One-tablespoon of carob powder will help to soothe and calm irritated intestines. The taste leaves a little to be desired, so you may want to mix it with a fair amount of plain yogurt or applesauce.

CATNIP

Catnip tea is a great way to reduce spasmodic intestines. Drink 1 cup every three hours.

Hope it clears, not much fun…

Take care, Jody

Jerry

Gayle and Jody …

I’m thinkin’ that if I take just 3 or 4 of those suggestions I might never have to go again …. seriously, what a great answer to a good question ….

Jerry

Jody,

Wow. I wish I would have asked this question when my father was so sick at the very end. Maybe some of this would have helped him.

Gayle,

Taking Imodium on a dialy basis can’t be good for you. I would check with the doctor about the use of the this product on a daily basis.

Some say that Cheese helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert