MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Diet and nutrition…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Diet and nutrition…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dawn

I would like to know what kind of diet people are on with MDS?…My dad is a mid-western man, meat and potatos type, also has a sweet tooth…I do not think processed foods should be in the american household, but convincing my dad is another battle that I choose not to enter. I am curious though as to what people have found works best for them as far as feeling stronger and having more energy?!
    Thanks
    Dawn

Dad dx 10/2005 RARS currently on Vidaza, Hydroxyurea and Aranesp. Starts 5th round of Vidaza nest week.

Suzanne

Dawn, people have tried all kinds of diets and suppliments. Some feel they have helped. My doctors just said eat reasonably and healthy. I did increase the amount of red meat over an informal low fat diet I had been on prior to being diagnosed to keep my colesterol lower.And I was careful when my counts were low to cook everything well, wash vege’s well. I did not eat in restaurants-especially salad bars and buffets because of possible germs.I also tried to eliminate as much exta iron as I could once I started getting transfusions because of the build-up that occurs. My personal decision was to not take anything during treatment except what my doctors prescribed or told me to take so as not to cause any possible conflicts with the meds. Like most things with this disease there probably is not a right or uniform answer.

JulieMarie

Dawn,

I feel your fustration. My mom was leery about telling me stuff at the begining, but now we are closer than ever. I would suggest going to your dad’s next dr. appointment. Ask your questions, make sure your dad doesn’t hide the side effects. As for eating my mom was just told to stay away from spicey foods, which she has. The weird thing is she’s having cravings for different foods. When I’m with her I let her pick what we eat since she has the more sensitive stomach these days.

Terri

Dawn, we contacted a Nutritionist who has been great, Bob is on a Protein Diet, Lots of fresh green veggies, red meaat, fish etc. Tons of vitamins and supplements. He still does his conventional Meds as well, Tomorrow we start vidaza for the 6th round and he gets weekly procrit. No whites- Flour, sugar, rice. No caffeine (Occassionally Bob has a cup of coffee). We use Smart Balance instead of butter or margarine. I only cook with virgin olive oil if needed. I would not have done any of this without the Nutritionist guideance.

Kathryn

My father’s hemotologist’s group has a nutritionist on staff. If your dad’s doesn’t, maybe the hospital offers one.

Kat.

John in GR

Hi Dawn,

I was diagnosed in May 2001 and have done very well except for a recent bout with something called Sweet’s syndrome. My story and diet appear at http://www.geocities.com/marlakins/index.html

detox, enzymes, vitamins (best thru food) and exercise. Good questions to ask. So far as I know, there are no bad side effects to what I am doing. Best wishes.
    John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert