MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Different Hemoglobin Result

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Different Hemoglobin Result

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jebs554
    Participant

Hello Everyone!

I’ve had 3 blood counts this week with different Hemoglobin result:
    Monday -14.2 g/dl
    Wednesday – 12.6 g/dl
    Saturday – 13.3 g/dl

Has anybody experienced like this one?

Thank you!

Amy Clark
    Participant

Hi Jeb! Not sure what is going on there. Maybe the office is using a machine that is not very accurate and only made to check for a general snapshot of someones hgb? I know there are small machines like that for clinic use, one is called a HemoCue. Other than that our only experience with a recorded swing in hgb. levels is the one time my husband had two draws for blood 30 minutes apart and the hgb.came back as 11.1 and 11.5. Not nearly as big a difference as yours, but enough to make us realize that, like blast counts, it’s a close number, but not 100% accurate. Our oncologist at MD Anderson once told us that a blast count of 6 could really be 4 or 8, but not 12. I know lots of medical decisions are made based on the “exact” number of something on a lab result, but it is in all likelihood a little off one way or the other. That’s my two cents. Hope it helps. Otherwise, maybe ask your clinic. God bless you!

jebs554
    Participant

Hello Amy!
    Thank you for your response.
    By the way, how is your husband doing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert