MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

DNA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jack_dup1

I just received a call from MD Anderson, they are doing some CMML study and want a sample of my DNA to compare to the blood they took a couple years ago. The women calling didn’t know much more than that, has anyone else that has been to Anderson received a call?
    Jack

patti

Jack,

Normally a place would send a letter requesting your signature to participate with some sort of instructions for how to supply the DNA. This sounds weird. I’m not sure if this is a state or federal thing but all of our doctors here (in oregon) have been sending forms that ask us to make a decision about whether or not we want our personal DNA information used for anonymous testing, etc. We’ve had to specifically mark yes or no and sign the forms, even for our kids. This just sounds too weird for my blood. If it were me I’d want something in writing in hand before answering this question for anyone.

One thought just hit me after writing all of that – is there a chance you signed some form (in the midst of a bunch of others) at MD Anderson when you were seen there that said you’d be willing to participate in studies, etc.? Even then, I’d think it would still be appropriate that they provide study information first.

Just my two cents worth.

patti

Jack_dup1

Patti,
    Yes I did agree and sign forms that my results could be used for further study and to possibly help others. They are sending a swap kit and the paper work. I didn’t see it as suspecious, I was just wondering if anyone else got the call. I haven’t killed anyone that I can remember, so I’m not to worried about my DNA. I thought about swabing my yorkies mouth and senting it in to get back at them for the large bill I received from them, just to tell me there was no treatment available.
    Jack

Bkwits

Jack,
    I’m still smiling at the idea of sending your pet’s DNA. Thanks for cheering my morning.
    Barb

patti

Jack,

I’m LOL about the yorkie DNA! Very funny.

Patti

TEMBO

Hello Jack;

My husband and I spend the last year at MD Anderson. I have also spend the last 2 years with my Dad at MD Anderson. Although they may be a Center of Excellency…I would not just except what may be sent to you. I have seen some very good results from the hospital. However, they very much are interested in furthering their own institution. Just do whatever would be prudent with any institution. They do have their own agenda. I hope I have not offended anyone. It is just our own experience.

God Speed,
    Karen

Jack_dup1

Karen,
    I was not offended. While I was there they did a BMB and took 14 viles of blood. I was there for 4 hours and charged $14,000. All these hospitals have there own agenda, if they didn’t there would be more cures and a national database, they don’t like to share info with each other. I want my health experience to help others, not just the hospital.
    Jack

sarah

We were at MD Anderson March 2002 for about 5 hours, took 20 viles of blood, BMB and charged close to $15,000. It was a humbling experience I will never forget.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert