MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Enlarged Liver now Spleen

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Enlarged Liver now Spleen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jimmy Greenhut
    Participant

Hi, I have MDS/MPN rS-T. Ct scan showed Liver 21.5 cm from 19.5 cm year prior. Now have mildly enlarged Spleen. Does anyone have this too?? Are you on meds? I’m transfusion dependent. Look forward to your replies.

Philip Fallacaro
    Participant

If you are transfusion dependent, you may have developed iron overload. In which case the liver and spleen are affected by excess iron storage.

Ian Palangio
    Participant

Due to my MDS I have been transfusion dependent for almost 3 years (135 units of Red Blood Cells to date) and I have an enlarged spleen – it’s quite big at 30cm in length, it extends down past my midline and under my belly button. I’ve only noticed the large spleen physically for the past 5 months or so – it has grown a lot in that time. Over a period of about 2 months it went from 24cm to 30 cm. I am currently on Azacitidine (Vidaza) in hopes it will temporarily better my blood cells and counts and hence reduce my spleen size before undergoing a Bone Marrow Transplant. If the drug does not work, my spleen will need to be surgically removed before I can be scheduled for the BMT.

Jimmy Greenhut
    Participant

Ian Palanglo, I have it mild compared to you. I’m not a BMT candidate. I’ve gotten my 3rd shot of Luspatercept but my HB is not responding,along with side effects. I’ve had 26 transfusions so far. Procrit didn’t work for me @ 60k units. I wish you well & thank you for sharing your journey. My thoughts are with you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert