MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

enzyme coQ10

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board enzyme coQ10

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sherrygal

I read all your posts several times a day. I was speaking with a co-worker today and he shared his use of the enzyme coQ10 with me. He firmly believes it prevented his having heart surgery for 10 years. I have researched it some this evening and it appears promising. Has anyone tried it with success.

———————

Dad age 84 diagnosed with RA 2004 and CMML Aug 2005. Currently receiving Aranesp injections twice monthly.

Jerry

Sherry …

I have had some heart problems with blockages that required stents to open. I started 100 mg. of CoQ10 per day almost 10 years ago. It is one of those things where I don’t know if it is working, because I don’t know whether or not I would have had more heart problems without it. But, all my doctors know that I take it and none has ever suggested that I should not. The only downside to it is that it is relatively expensive. But then, what isn’t these days? Hope this helps you a bit.

Jerry

patti

Jerry,

Check out http://www.lef.org. It is the life extension foundation which does tons of research and also tries to take medical studies and translate them into useable data for the end user. I think they recommend quite a bit more Co-q10 then your taking. Don’t quote me – but take a look. You might find some interesting information there.

Patti

sherrygal

thanks Jerry and Patti for your responses. I read a report on MDS and coq10 and it had worked in some trials. My friend said that his heart surgeon did not have a problem with it either. I think anything is worth trying that is not a conflict. Sherry

Jerry

Patti …

Thank you. I ordered some CoQ-10 from Life Extension and they will be here in about a week.

Sherry …

I Googled MDS and CoQ-10 and could not find the report that you referred to. Do you have a link to that article?

Thank you both.

Jerry

Ensnee

I started taking CoQ10 three years ago as a migraine preventive. I also have a mitral valve prolapse, and tachycardia, so I figured it was good for those conditions, too. I rarely get the tachycardia anymore, and it could be quite bothersome, though not dangerous. I’ve started Hans taking it recently to protect his heart since he’s had so much chemo in the last year.

I’ve found that the Health Balance brand sold at Costco seems to work better, and is a very good price — 60 mg, 120 softgels for about CAD$23. We take 2 every morning.

Esme

Esme

sherrygal

Jerry this is the website I was referring to:

http://www.umassmed.edu/hema_oncology/MDSinfo

Sherry

gemloyear

Jerry, I found an interesting report regarding coenzymeQ10 at the NIH. web site.
    National Cancer Institute coenzymeQ10
    Ellie

gemloyear

sherry, Interesting report, worth looking into.
    Thanks Ellie

Jerry

To all of you …

Thank you so much for the information on CoQ-10 … I have decided to at least double what I am taking but I remain a little skeptical about its benefit for MDS. By the way, I have frequently said that I am blessed and that my MDS is not yet nearly as severe as many cases. While my WBC and platelets remain quite low, my hemoglobin is up to its highest point in over 3 years, 13.9 which, of course, is in the low normal range for a man. I credit the 80,000 units of Procrit each week as my count was down in the 9 range for a long time. The timing could not be better for me as Debbie and I are leaving on a 2 week cruise to Hawaii on Feb. 4th. It will be nice to have the energy to enjoy it with her.

Jerry

Jimbob

Jerry,
    It is good to see that you are doing well. I know it will be tempting but don’t overdo it while on vacation. Taking it in little steps is more likely to give you a continuing good time than doing too much and having a setback for a day or more. Would like to see you able to continue saying “that I am blessed and that my MDS is not yet nearly as severe as many cases” for a long time.

Jerry

Jim …

Thank you. Taking it easy is the plan. Debbie does not swim 🙁 and I cannot hike so we are left to take helicopter trips and renting a car on 2 of the days. This is a trip that Debbie has always wanted to make and when we planned it early last year, I was asking the doctors whether I would even be around to go. I am happy that they were right.

Jerry

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert