MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

exjade side effect

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board exjade side effect

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    patti

I know there are a number of people taking exjade here and I just thought I’d mention that mom started having a reaction last night after taking it for two weeks. She has a rash all over her body right now. It’s not hives but is obviously, not petichaie either. She’s only on 250mg so I’m surprised at the reaction. It makes me VERY thankful we didn’t start at the full dose!! Does anyone know if exjade builds up to a certain level in the body or if it’s metabolizes out of the system every 24hrs?

The reading I’ve done says they can restart exjade after the rash is gone but at a lower dose and with a steroid. Well, not sure she can go a lower dose then 250 and I’m pretty sure we don’t want steroids so we might be in a pickle here. We see the doctor tomorrow. For now she’s stopping the exjade until we see the doc.

Just wanted to throw this out there for others who are on exjade and ask if you’ve had the rash.

Patti

marlene

Hi Pattie,

John did not experience the rash. I too read where you can stop it, let it clear up, then start the Exjade again. I think you can go as low as 125mg. But my understanding is that once the rash resolves, it most likely will not come back. The average elimination half-life is 6 -18 hours. So after two days, I would guess she should be clear of it.

I don’t know how long it take the rash to resolve though.

Marlene

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert