MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Extra chromasome?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Extra chromasome?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nancym

Hi. My Mom gets her first injection of Procrit tomorrow. She just remembered that the doctor told her she has an extra chromasome; usually women have 2 and she has 3. Is this ringing a bell with anyone? At first I thought she was referencing 5q, but that is less than normal, not more.

I am trying to remember the blood test that should be done to rule out non-responders. Can anyone help me out here. I have read so much I am having trouble keeping things straight.

Thanks so much,

Nancy

jaxem

nancy
    women and men both have a pair of 26 chromosomes with the 26th one the one that determines sex. In the case of 5q del, this means the 5th chromosome (q) only has one rather than 2. In the case of my wife, she originally was diagnosed with trisomy 8 which means the 8th q had an extra. she then developed over time to have pentasomy 7 or 5 of q #7. The evil q #7 is famous for its extras (trisomy 7, etc.). After a blood transplant, the transplanted patient will show the sex of the donor, regardless of sex of the patient.

nancym

Jack,

My Mom got her lab report and read it to me over the phone. Actually, it is not an extra chromosome. She has 13q-. In all my reading I have not found any references to this. I wonder if all the chromosomal abnormalities associated with MDS have the ability to change with time…

Thanks for your post,

Nancy

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Nancy,

I don’t think there is a "chromosomal abnormality" that is associated with MDS. There seems to be quite an array of chromosome "patterns" that have been mentioned on this forum alone.

When my husband was first diagnosed, he had no abnormal chromosomes. Eight years later, his BMB showed an an abnormal 11 or 13 …… I am not sure, I don’t have the report in front of me. However, I asked the doctor if this was a result of the disease or a result of the chemo drugs he has taken (Vidaza, Revlimid, Dacogen). She said there was no way of knowing. I would assume from that answer that, yes, chromosomes have the ability to change with time.

Anyone else out there with info regarding this?

Jack,

How interesting that the transplanted patient will show the sex of the donor, regardless of the sex of the patient. You are talking about a bone marrow transplant, correct? The same with stem cell transplant? (maybe it is all the same)

Mary

nancym

This is one small piece of information I was able to dig up and thought I would share with the group.

http://atlasgeneticsoncology.org/Anomalies/del13qID1310.html

Nancy

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Thanks, Nancy smile

Mary

jaxem

nancy
    then her 13th q is not paired as it should be. mary hit it right stating no way to know why the q changed. Chemo, however, is my guess as a layman.

mary
    in all blood transplants, stem cells are replaced with a donor’s stem cells from which all other blood cells are created.

nancym

Hi. Mom has no chemo or cancer history.

Nancy

My husband had 11 chromosome abnormalities when he was diagnosed among them were the 5q deletion, monosomy 7 and 22. He had never had a previous cancer, nor was he exposed to any chemo or radiation. They told us right away that because of the chromosome damage he was at high risk. We went to the Univ. of MN and they recommended a transplant right away with cord blood as he didn’t have any donors. We waited until July, but by then the AML had begun. HE got into remission after only one induction but then was found to have ALL. He tried five more rounds of chemo – two were very experimental. He passed away the first part of March. He too was always very healthy, an athlete, a coach, a referee. This is an insidious disease. We did meet others that did have success. It is a battle whichever way it goes. If you have a window of opportunity for a transplant TAKE IT, don’t wait.

Jack, I agree Easter was hard, but every day is hard right now.
    Bev

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert