MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Frank is in hospital.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Frank is in hospital.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    SFC

Hi, I am Frank’s wife. Frank is in hospital today. After first shot of Vidaza, his count went so low. So last week he got blood transfusion. We thought that his blood count would bounce back as normal. But last few days he started to have fever. And last night he took some Tylenol, since he thought that he caught cold.

Today, he went to see his doctor. His WBC is 0.7, HGB is below 7. Now he is at risk of any infection. He has to be in hospital for at least two or three days (for now).

Now we learn that any kind of chemo is a risky procedure. It does not matter you are young or not.

Hope he will be back home and see his twin girls soon.

Helen

Kathryn

You and Frank are in my thoughts & prayers and I am hoping that he will be home soon!! Remind him that his girls are waiting for him & give him my best!!

Kathryn

Terri

Prayers are with you, I hope Frank starts feeling better soon.

sarah

Helen, so very sorry Frank is having a difficult time. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Give him our best!
    Sarah

shirlsgirl

Helen,

I’m so sorry to hear about Frank. I hope his counts improve and that he’s home very soon.

Take care,

Jody

Suzanne

We will be thinking of Frank and his family. I know this must be hard for him but it is not terribly unusual for MDS patients. I was in for a fever several times. They never found anything. Told me it was either something that slipped through in the transfusion or a reaction to the experimental drug I was taking at the time. We will hope for no serious infections for Frank.

SFC

Hey all,

Thanks for your information and support. Frank is still in hospital with high fever. He had red blood transfusion yesterday. Doctor gave him antibiotics and NEUPROGEN to boost his wbc. Now his wbc is back to 1.5. And they did find one kind of virus in his blood. They are still checking to see if there is any other virus.

Thanks again

Helen

frank
    Participant

thank for everyone’s concern…

doctor is definitly sure there are something in my blood stream, which may get in through the pick-line(which they put it one last Tuesday.). i still have 102 degree fever, hope it can be brought down soon. they will be sure on what kind of virus by tomorrow, and before then they only hope it is not a strong virus.

But from my experience for the Vidaza, i really hope everyone who took it pays more attention on it. I was on a very close looked by my doctor(who think i should delay the treatment) during the time i took, but this kind of things still happened.

i don’t know i will continue the treatment or not, doctors from Johns Hopkins still think i should go forward, but it was a really scared experience.

Frank

Terri

Frank hope you start feeling better, Glad to see you are up to posting, thats a good sign. My prayers are with you.
    What is a pick line was it for the Vidaza? Bob is on Vidaza but we haven’t had a pick line?

Hope you go home soon.

sarah

Good to see you posting Frank. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there! The pick line is to do blood draws and give medication, I think Terri.
    Take care,
    Sarah

Suzanne

Frank, Hope you feel better soon but I think you have to understand that infections are fairly common for us. I don’t know that there is any way you won’t be in that danger especially when your counts are down.And the disease usually takes them down when it advances. I would hate to see you turn down all treatments because of this kind of danger. But I think I have said that to you before. If you ever have to have the induction and consolidation chemo or the chemo they use before a transplant, your counts will pretty much go to zero and stay there for a while and almost everyone fights one or two infections then. Glad to see you feel well enough to post and I hope you follow your doctors recommendations.There are no quarantees for any of us but doing that certainly worked out well for me.

Kathryn

Frank, I’m sending healing thoughts your way for a strong recovery. I hope that you will be feeling better & get to go home soon!!

Kathryn

Jimbob

Frank,
    Continued prayers for you and your family. It is good that Helen was able to jump in and let us know how you were doing. Let’s her know that she has support here too. Keep moving forward. Don’t let a little setback stop your progress to recovery. Unfortunately there will be setbacks along the way but you can and will beat them.

frank
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

yes, i discussed with my doctor, i decide to continue the treatment, but may really cautious on the side effect, but it will wait for a while since this accident.

for whatever the reason, i do want to post all my experience for the vidaza treatment, it may help others, and i always think if the site have a thread on the trial or drug experience, it may more helpful for new commers.

my temperature finally got down, and my WBC is still under 2.0, but it seems i am getting batter now.

Frank

Suzanne

So glad you are getting better and glad you are telling what happens to you so others who try your drug will know what to expect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert