MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Frequent blood transfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Frequent blood transfusions

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Support1985
    Participant

My mother has recently been diagnosed with MDS. Her red and white blood cell count was very low. She’s been having injections weekly for 6 months and her white blood cells have improved alot, and her platelets (as she was getting bad bruising on her body), and is now back in the normal range – but the treatment doesn’t seem to be working for her red blood cell count. If this treatment doesn’t work her doctor has said she will need regular blood transfusions as she suffers with shortness of breath. What are the dangers to frequent blood transfusions? Aside from the Iron increase which hopefully would be kept under control. Is this something that she can live with for years to come?
    Thanks,
    S

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

Support1985,
    What type of MDS does your mother have? You can email me if you like at
    Pratt8075@aol.com
    Sherry

Support1985
    Participant

Thanks Sherry, she has MDM RAEB1.

lynne
    Participant

I have MDS-RARS,and have been on blood transfusions for years. My red cells are my problem…..no white cells or platelet issues so far. The iron overload from the transfusions is a problem for me,as I have iron on my heart,and was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I had been on Exjade for 6 years to hopefully control the iron overload. My hemotologist recently changed me to Jadenu for the iron overload,but it has been to recent to know if it helps.

Support1985
    Participant

Thanks Lynne, it’s good to know transfusions can keep her feeling well over an extended amount of time, and it’s not very short term. Yes I am worried also about the Iron overload and what that does to the body – but hopefully the doctors will do everything they can to keep that in check. I hope that the change of drug helps you to feel better and with your heart.
    S xx

Tamara Kairo
    Participant

87 year old father gets blood transfusions every three weeks now. He has had this MSD going on 4 years. Took a xjade a couple years ago landed him in the hospital with kidney failure. Got him better fast and he is unable to take anything for iron overload. A lot of praying going on. His last blood panel showed 4.7 for his blood level. In the next day for three pints. He is strong, walking and talking . True miracle man🙏

Support1985
    Participant

Thank you Tamara, that’s good news he’s feeling better. He sounds like he’s been through the mill too and is still going strong 🙂 xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert