MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

GLEEVEC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vlad

HELLO: IS GLEEVEC COMMONLY USED TO TREAT MDS?

THANKS
    VLAD

Terri

I thought it was for CMML – Our Doctor indicated it would not benefit Bob.

Kathryn

My dad’s doc. didn’t recommend it for him either and he did have CMML. I can’t recall exactly why though… I know it is also used with Pulmonary Fibrosis as well.

Kat.

Marsha

I know that Gleevec is used for CML; but was not available to me for my CMML either. Tho, I have heard that they are trying it out on some MDS/CMML patients.

Marsha

shirlsgirl

Hi Vlad,

Gleevec is usually used for CML and sometimes on CMML patients who have the philadelphia chromosome. My mom has been on it for a few months and she’s due for her bmb in Oct. to see if it is working for her. My mom has a (9:21) abnormality making her a candidate to try it.

Jody

Jimbob

Gleevec trials were initiated at Oregon Health Science University hospital by Dr Drucker. OHSU is where I was treated and had my SCT. The docs there told me thhat Gleevec was not useful for most CMML patients but could possibly help those with Philadelphia chromosone. Once on it, patient has to stay on it and it can lead to extreme bone and muscle pain.

Ensnee

My husband has CMML and is being treated for relapsed AML with a mixture of the suitable chemo drugs, plus Gleevec. He was in a study at Princess Margaret Hospital which is using this treatment, but he did not quite meet the qualifications to stay on the study (5% or lower blasts in marrow, which is defined as a remission.) He was at 5-7% blasts after the re-induction phase. He just completed 1st consolidation chemo and is still taking the Gleevec for a few more days, which either our insurance may pay for or his employer has offered to pay for if the employee insurance plan does not cover it. While in the study the government paid for the Gleevec.

The protocol has been to take 300 mg Gleevec for 3 days before chemo and continue taking it for the duration of the chemo. Due to timing problems he started it at the same time as the consolidation chemo, and has a few more days on it. The doctors and study nurse were enthusiastic about him continuing the Gleevec, even though they say at this point they have no way of knowing if it helps. However, so far, remission of relapsed AML in study patients is MUCH higher than normal.

Hans does not have the Philadelphia chromosome. To try and finally slay the beast of CMML, once the AML is in full remission, he will have a stem cell transplant. His brother is a perfect match. If he goes into a remission after this round, they may skip the 2nd consolidation and go straight to the transplant.

shirlsgirl

Hi Esme,

Believe it or not…over the weekend I tried to respond to your post 2 times and after typing thoughtfully and almost finishing…the message got deleted…both times! First time I hit a button on my keyboard…everything gone. Second time, next day…almost finished left the room for a moment, came back…Hannah (my 5yr old) was sitting at the computer smiling asking me to put on Trollz.com – She had deleted it!! So here goes again smile

How’s Hans? How much longer will he be on gleevec? Does he experience any side effects? My mom will sometimes get a pain in her eye which sometimes results in a bloody eye that lasts for a few days. She also is nauseous (?sp) right after taking it, but it usually subsides soon after. I’ve read on his Caringbridge site that he’s tolerating the Chemo very well this time around. That’s awesome! Any idea when his sct will take place?

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way…
    Crossing my fingers for a complete remission

Jody

Aleksandra Poland
    Participant

I am not sure, if this is of any interest for any of you here – are there any other Europeans on the forum?
    Well, on the 24.11.06 there is a information meeting in Hematology Clinic in Vienna, Austria, on the new treatment alternatives for MDS patients, and since it’s co-organised by the Novartis, the producer of Gleevec (Glivec), I assume it will be possible to learn there something more on Glivec/MDS issue. I’ll definitely try to be there and make my notes.

Best to all, Aleksandra

hmblume

CML and CMML are very different. Gleevec has reportly superb results (90%) in treating CML (which I believe to be very high white counts). It is sometimes used to treat some variations of CMML. Thus, doctors not recommending it generally and lack of general success with Gleevec treating CMML seem very understandable. It also seems to me that ITP and CMML both have low platelets; ITP seems to have unreported monocytes on the ITP support group web-site. I had ITP for about 6 years before diagnosis changed to CMML; I have not had treatment for either, except that anti-inflammatories and some MEDS have been ruled out and I take anti-bleeding precautions. So far I have been hanging in, but deep-down I expect to be facing some treatment within a year. I don’t know how to categorize the variations of CMML.
    Best wishes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert