MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Gleevec

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shirlsgirl

Has anyone tried Gleevec? It may be an option for my mom, will know more in a couple of weeks. It is a crazy expensive drug but it sounds so promising….

Jimbob

Quite a few have tried Gleevac. It does work well on some forms of CML. The original trials to get it approved for treatment of CML was done at Oregon Health and Science University Hospital by Dr. Drucker. This is where I have been treated. They insisted that it would NOT work for most forms of CMML unless there certain markers. Jack in Colorado (?) has CMML and his docs did try Gleevac but to no avail. I did have to go with SCT to beat CMML. Jim

Barb

My dad was told that Gleevec is particularly effective when the patient has a chromosonal abnormality that the dr. termed: 5/12 translocation.
    ~Barb M.

Jack_dup1

I did a 6 week trial for Gleevac at the NIH, which did not change anything. I was told going into it that it only worked on 2% of CMML patients. The good thing was that I suffered no ill effects, so it was worth the effort. My chromosones are normal and it is effective on a certain chromosone abnormality. Hope your Mom is in the 2%, someone has to be.
    Jack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert